ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

CafePress security incident 2019-02-19

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
Eh, these things happen.  I'm not stressed over it, just normal level irritation with such things :)

mouser:
I think the most important things to take away from these occasional security incidents are:
1. Remember to use a different password on every website
2. Keep separate the email address you use for important personal conversation and the email address you use to sign up to random unimportant websites.
3. Have an alert set on your credit cards so you get a notification after EVERY purchase.  I think this is an item many people don't bother to set up, but I find it invaluable.

wraith808:
2. Keep separate the email address you use for important personal conversation and the email address you use to sign up to random unimportant websites.
-mouser (October 02, 2019, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

A call out again for a feature in gmail that I make extensive use of- +addressing.  email+<meaningfulsuffix>@gmail.com.  I use those for signups everywhere, and I've been able to blacklist a few sites from my interest/attention by the e-mail addresses in spam.

Deozaan:
I think the most important things to take away from these occasional security incidents are:
1. Remember to use a different password on every website
3. Have an alert set on your credit cards so you get a notification after EVERY purchase.  I think this is an item many people don't bother to set up, but I find it invaluable.
-mouser (October 02, 2019, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

4.a. Whenever possible, refuse to give any personal information to any company -- too many have proven they will not be good stewards of the information you've given them.
4.b. If a company/site/service requires you to give them information, falsify as much of it as you (legally) can while still using their service. Obviously Amazon needs my postal address to ship stuff to me, but there's no reason why an instant messaging app needs to know e.g. my phone number or postal address.

Edvard:
5.  Your password is only as secure as the computer it's sitting on.  "Password123" is functionally the same as a 256-bit SHA1 hash of Calvin Coolidge's autobiography; Chapter 7, if the service in question stores it in a plain text file. (Yes, this does happen)  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version