ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (213/244) > >>

wraith808:
I think my Workflowy kanban should do this. Much prefer kanban to corkboard.
-Dormouse (February 17, 2022, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using Scrum, so it works for me. I just need my backlog there, and a section for the current iteration.

Dormouse:
I'm using Scrum
-wraith808 (February 17, 2022, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know it, but it seems very different to me. And complex.

I'm always fascinated by individual differences, and how something that works for one person, simply doesn't fit another.

I recognise that purely within myself. I've tried many kanbans, including those in Obsidian and Logseq, but found none of them helpful in practice until WF. Some of that is the virtually instantaneous switching between board and outline views. I also love the way I can zoom in or out by changing which bullet is the starting point. And, while I always loved Scrivener's corkboard, it never made me more productive, though I thought it should. The more sophisticated sticky note imitation glitched too.

But the kanban/WF bit is really only the middle stage. Shouldn't say stage - the parts are interacting all the time.
The 'starting' one is Content. That's where Mindomo and Obsidian live.
With Text being the last. That has to be linear. I'll try to forget the probability that Word will be there having to be used in everything I write instead of the titbits it has been receiving.

I also love that OPML works in all stages. Though the OPML file used in the content stage isn't useful in the kanban stage and vice versa. Editors needed in all stages too.

Dormouse:
I've tried many kanbans, including those in Obsidian and Logseq, but found none of them helpful in practice
-Dormouse (February 18, 2022, 05:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, I think Plottr is best viewed as a kanban. But rigid and inflexible compared to WF.

wraith808:
I don't know it, but it seems very different to me. And complex.
-Dormouse (February 18, 2022, 05:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not. It's just another variation on Kanban. The difference is Kanban is continuous where Scrum is iterative. There are complications you can add to it (same with Kanban), but at its root it is simple.

When I first started on my project for my world, I decided on an iteration length (2 weeks). I found high level things I wanted to get accomplished. I prioritized them, then broke them down into stories and pointed them by seeming effort required. Then I looked at what I could get accomplished in two weeks, going in priority order.

At the end of two weeks, I looked at what I'd done and delivered, and how many points it was. That helped me to see what I could get done in an iteration. Rinse and repeat, loading the backlog with things that I come up against as I went along. It helps me to plan and reach deadlines, but be agile in how I do it.

Given, I do it at work, so it's not a stretch. But I also have done Kanban at work, and it's not a lot different other than instead of iterations, you have WIP limits based on the size of the stories rather than a bucket to fill every iteration.

Kanban is generally used for support work, where Scrum is used for Greenfield development, but either can be used for either.

A good video on using it to develop worlds:

Dormouse:
I had Scrum is iterative.
-wraith808 (February 18, 2022, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I had a quick look at the video; it seemed quite long, so I only looked at a bit. But it looked as if Scrum is about getting things done?

I know that's how kanban is usually used, but what interests me is purely the picture. The types of graph that Vonnegut used to draw. He applied his, mostly, to fiction, but I believe the approach should be applied to any form of writing - the presentation of the results of experiments, legal reports, academic papers, pre-publication reviews of said papers, magazine articles. Everything has expectations in terms of length and structure - and sometimes they are demands more than expectations. Before I start a project, I expect to have a clear idea about form and shape. What I like about kanban is that I can use it to give me the views I want to track how it's developing (it will diverge more often than not, sometimes that's better but sometimes I can see that it will fail before the end). I can use it to plan, and I can use it to track.

And I need to be able to pick it up again after a long gap. So a very visible format will help with that. Nothing helps with research gaps because the situation has often changed when it's picked up again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version