ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (212/244) > >>

Dormouse:
you might want to also look at writage
-wraith808 (February 16, 2022, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Yes. Want would be putting it too strongly.
I don't like markdown, but it seems hard to avoid it in plaintext, and I have never liked Word - but docx is even more ubiquitous and seems pretty robust across programs too. So do I want a bridge?

I did think of it, and installed a trial to look at it. Then disconnected it from Word, so I could be sure I was seeing Word rather than Writage.
I'm genuinely conflicted about it.
I even looked at the outliner app (DocxManager) to see if that would bring anything extra  But that seemed expensive without offering anything obviously useful to me.

One attraction was FocusWriter - which has a very limited set of formatting option, but quite sufficient for me in writing mode.
And always preferred Atlantis over Word in general use. I don't really like the way it manages Headings, but it's no wore than Obsidian. Word itself seems better.
Typora imports and exports docx quite happily.
It feels as if that will cover what Writage does. But I'm not sure.

The bit where Word stands out is the Review stage, but I don't know Writage adds anything to that.
Happy to hear any views if you have experience of it. Else I think I'll wait and see how it goes.

I'm not entirely reconciled to the prospect of using Word more, even though it appears to make sense.

Dormouse:
To give an idea of how I've set Workflowy up, I'm attaching images of a mockup in kanban and in bullet modes.
The text bullets are mirrored to a text list with the same structure; this is the one that can be exported to end up as a markdown or docx document containing only the text. Writing or editing can be done anywhere and will be mirrored to the other.
I use emojis and colour text to give me a very quick overview of what is going on where.
I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

wraith808:
you might want to also look at writage
-wraith808 (February 16, 2022, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Yes. Want would be putting it too strongly.
I don't like markdown, but it seems hard to avoid it in plaintext, and I have never liked Word - but docx is even more ubiquitous and seems pretty robust across programs too. So do I want a bridge?

I did think of it, and installed a trial to look at it. Then disconnected it from Word, so I could be sure I was seeing Word rather than Writage.
I'm genuinely conflicted about it.
I even looked at the outliner app (DocxManager) to see if that would bring anything extra  But that seemed expensive without offering anything obviously useful to me.

One attraction was FocusWriter - which has a very limited set of formatting option, but quite sufficient for me in writing mode.
And always preferred Atlantis over Word in general use. I don't really like the way it manages Headings, but it's no wore than Obsidian. Word itself seems better.
Typora imports and exports docx quite happily.
It feels as if that will cover what Writage does. But I'm not sure.

The bit where Word stands out is the Review stage, but I don't know Writage adds anything to that.
Happy to hear any views if you have experience of it. Else I think I'll wait and see how it goes.

I'm not entirely reconciled to the prospect of using Word more, even though it appears to make sense.
-Dormouse (February 16, 2022, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

So I use writing outliner (the precursor to DocxManager) and Writage. Writing Outliner helps me keep projects straight and has the corkboard from Scriviner, but in Word where I have to do my freelance work. Writage lets me work in md when I want to, copy the formatted text to a Word document, and copy and paste Word formatted text into my markdown document. It's pretty seamless going from plain text to word which is cool as I don't like doing long form writing/editing in Word unless I have to.

Dormouse:
I don't like doing long form writing/editing in Word unless I have to
-wraith808 (February 16, 2022, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Me too

Writing Outliner helps me keep projects straight and has the corkboard from Scriviner,
-wraith808 (February 16, 2022, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think my Workflowy kanban should do this. Much prefer kanban to corkboard.

Writage lets me work in md when I want to, copy the formatted text to a Word document, and copy and paste Word formatted text into my markdown document. It's pretty seamless going from plain text to word
-wraith808
link=topic=48938.msg448203#msg448203 date=1645068678
--- End quote ---
I see how that's useful.

afaics, my central useful file format is opml; and I'll move between that and md and docx. I'm not sure I will ever need to do much  directly between md and docx  Will I want to type markdown into Word? I don't know. Still, I'll know to install Writage if I do.

Dormouse:
My central system for everything writing related will be Workflowy.
The key features I'll use will be kanban, mirrors, colour, wikilinks

Any piece of work needs to be in three sections
- Text
- Planning and development including text
- Content
The text sections will mirror each other.
Bullets, if they exist, will be put as sub-bullets of an empty sub-bullet at the bottom of Planning and Development or, if necessary, below Text. (To try to stop them distracting me if I'm working on anything else.)

Content depend on what the piece is.
It could, for instance, be a few big research files from Obsidian exported through OPML. Should give me wikilinking with the Text and Planning.

Long-term storage, research etc in long markdown files, accessed from Obsidian and/or Logseq
Text file review and editing in Word.
Writing in a number of programs including FocusWriter, Typora, Logseq
And all the planning and development in Workflowy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version