ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (210/244) > >>

Dormouse:
if you remember Liquid Story Binder. LOLLLLL
-superboyac (February 13, 2022, 01:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, I do, I do.
And it is still on half price sale.
LOL indeed.

Dormouse:
I don't see what the advantage is for the 'big file'. Once you do hoisting to work on parts (which I think is a great idea!), whether the notes are in any file/sequence or in an unordered basket (or network)... it doesn't matter, right?
-urlwolf (February 13, 2022, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can work either way. It's a question of what works best for you and your system.

For me, it declutters the file system.
It incorporates a history, however it is prepared, and the history aids both memory and helps trigger some other ideas from the time it was done.
It is something of a Luhmannesque process where thought is applied to each component and how it relates to other components available at the time.
I find it a massive aid to portability.
All without any loss of the flexible linking with other atomic notes.

I think this is an example of someone overwhelmed by the sheer volume of notes. Which might not have occurred using a different process (ie I don't think it was just down to the program he used).
The Fall of Roam

The other gain of large notes, is that they are ideal for anything that is actually structured - like, for instance, a book. Which means one workflow system can be used for both processes.

Dormouse:
In WF copy-pasting a bunch of text from a webpage makes a bit of a mess. That usecase is important for me. What do you do about it?
-urlwolf (February 13, 2022, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, I rage inwardly, I seethe, I curse their incompetence, if I had a WF box, I'd kick it.

It's a bug. I'm convinced it's a bug. The concatenation bug. I discovered it and reported it at length when I first trialled WF. I need to have another go at them. Since you have discovered it, complain please.
It pops up in a number of circumstances - I'm very wary of working with WF except using OPML for import/export, and using paragraphs in notes. I am especially distrustful of copy/paste though it seems to work fine at times.

Then I do something else. Maybe use something else.
But using Workflowy there are two options.
1. Use the Chrome/Chromium Workflowy extension which allows you to paste the selected text anywhere into your outline. That preserves the formatting.
2. Images I will do indivisually or I will use Vivaldi's camera.

Dormouse:
It's a bug. I'm convinced it's a bug. The concatenation bug.
-Dormouse (February 13, 2022, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
And it's been going on a long time 2019
the same on Reddit

Dormouse:
I am especially distrustful of copy/paste
-Dormouse (February 13, 2022, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
As I've probably written somewhere above, this is something that I consider an issue across all program pairs. Between any given pair, the behaviour is usually stable.
But between different pairs, that's not true:

I'm just testing Logseq. One page, in 'document' mode, I have typed four new paragraphs and a total of six new lines. I indented one paragraph. Copied (Ctrl-C) the page.

* Paste into Word produces 10 paragraphs, but correctly picks up the indented lines.
* Paste into FocusWriter, MarkText  correctly identifies the paragraphs and lines and the indents. But also sticks bullets in for each new paragraph.
* Typora gets the bullets, but doesn't identify all the paragraphs correctly.
* I think Obsidian is right.
* Workflowy is correct for bullets in its note, but has no paragraphs. Paste into the outline and it has too many indents
* Dynalist is similar but not identical.OK, that's all from Logseq which is basically an outliner, even in document mode.

Or paste a small piece from Obsidian with two paragraphs and two new lines added to the first.

* Workflowy outline counts them as four undifferentiated bullets. The note is accurate.
* Dynalist outline has an extra empty bullet for the empty line signifying a markdown paragraph. Again, note is accurate.
* Word and Atlantis have four paragraphs plus an empty one.
* Logseq is accurate, as are FocusWriter, MarkText and Typora.
They were nearly all correct pasting a number of paragraphs from Word.
But Dynalist pasted them as lines in the note, whereas Workflowy correctly identified the paragraphs.

The whole copy/paste thing is unreliable unless you know the detailed circumstances, and is more likely to misfire when switching between RTF and plaintext programs. And programs of different types such as outliners and editors or word processors. (I suspect word processors are better sources because their paragraph and line markers are more explicit.)
And that's ignoring HTML and browsers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version