ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (209/244) > >>

Dormouse:
There are people writing on the value of hierarchies (book TOC) and networks (3rd generation notetaking) for years. The answer seems to be you can have both.
-urlwolf (February 12, 2022, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I personally believe that both models are wrong. Potentially there are hierarchies; potentially there are networks. But the essence of the state of play is ignorance. So software needs to promote flexibility and many possibilities. Entirely disconnected notes living as their own islands are bad, but so is anything that fits them into a given structure, weather that be hierarchy or network. That's a problem with Obsidian notes - there's usually a rigid structure of some sort. One of the advantages of outliners is that things can be moved around quickly and easily and endlessly duplicated - it's not the outline that's valuable, it's the ease of switching models.

Dormouse:
amplenote 'works' for me. It's the only one of these 'networked notetakers' that:
is fast
has mobile
is not buggy
you can live-edit with a collaborator
you can add comments to the text (call it footnote, rich or not)
has versioning
has no investors behind and aligns with user needs
-urlwolf (February 12, 2022, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not buggy is good, and pretty rare in the this field. Though I suspect that's related to a limited feature set and speed of development
Mobile is good, but it doesn't have immobile - and I work at my desk most of the time. Most of the apps on the list have mobile too.
Collaboration. Most apps are into that market, though Obsidian isn't.
I'd see Amplenote as targeting itself at a certain group of 'productivity' users who value speed, reliability and maybe collaboration. I doubt there will be much uptake in the academic or creative communities.
Whereas Obsidian is a swiss army knife with the developer community adding a plethora of attachments and a community of users in constant search for shiny new things. And I worry about what will be left when the glitterati move on.

superboyac:
Scrivener
-Dormouse (February 12, 2022, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
Totally agree about Scrivener 100%!! LOLLL

THere is one worse however, if you remember Liquid Story Binder. LOLLLLL

urlwolf:
I like Workflowy for two reasons: its wikilinks and mirror systems are completely effective even without being part of an outline structure.
And because it also contains such a structure, it is very suitable for producing an output that is intrinsically linear.
-Dormouse (February 12, 2022, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see what the advantage is for the 'big file'. Once you do hoisting to work on parts (which I think is a great idea!), whether the notes are in any file/sequence or in an unordered basket (or network)... it doesn't matter, right?

There's a bit of cognitive overhead because though hoisting makes this unnecessary, we keep trying to refer to the position the note is in in the long file. "Ah, that was at the beginning" (uses scrollbar to go there). Teleporting with search and hoisting makes that model not so useful. Or is it? I've never used a giant outline, I have 3400 notes right now so it'd be big.

I did use a giant text file for a while with an editor for a while. I had this 'mental reference' of where in the file the note was, which I think is an unnecessary appendage given how easy teleporting is. Or clicking tags. Or navigating the network. Unless the order has meaning in itself (you are writing a book or a big doc), not sure why the notetaking tool should keep order.

urlwolf:
In WF copy-pasting a bunch of text from a webpage makes a bit of a mess. That usecase is important for me. What do you do about it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version