ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (180/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I think a lot of this relates to the direction the developers want to take the application. I haven't seen any indication that they want to make it a general purpose application.
-wraith808 (March 23, 2021, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure. I agree it's not their own intent, but they do follow users and are very open to almost anything being done with plugins and frequently consider extending the API to make some plugins possible. But how much can reasonably be done via plugins I have no idea.

wraith808:
I think a lot of this relates to the direction the developers want to take the application. I haven't seen any indication that they want to make it a general purpose application.
-wraith808 (March 23, 2021, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure. I agree it's not their own intent, but they do follow users and are very open to almost anything being done with plugins and frequently consider extending the API to make some plugins possible. But how much can reasonably be done via plugins I have no idea.
-Dormouse (March 23, 2021, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'd agree if it can be done via plugin they'd make it possible to be done that way. I was just talking about core intent. The way I'm using VS Code right now isn't MS's intent. However, it's made possible by extensions. And they've shown that they are open to including particularly useful functionality from extensions in the core app.

Dormouse:
After the demise of my visits to Bubbl.us and friends, I wondered if it was time to restart my search for a mindmapping program that would work as a major part of my workflow. They have progressed a long way since I last looked.

I need:

* cross-platform
* Interoperability (preferably through .md or .txt files; Excel would be good)
* Ease of use (mindmaps quickly become bogged down in setting up details)
* Styling that works for me (I'm always so quick to dismiss mindmaps that I know how subjective this must be)
Having moved quickly through a herd of major contenders, I came to Mindomo which looks possible. Apparently integrates with the ProWritingAid Chrome  extension too.
I'm not hopeful after previous experience, but I'll give it a go.

Dormouse:
Actually, pretty much sold on signing up. Unfortunately desktop + mobile requires a subscription, but it always takes me at least a year to try things out properly (Obsidian was an aberration), and the price seems pretty standard for the paid mindmap apps. Ticks all my required boxes. Some clashes in markdown syntax, but that's a straightforward conversion. Pessimism has turned to optimism.

I have asked myself what it doesn't do better than all the programs on the list for the short review I'm doing. The answers are:

* cost
* direct link to the editor used for writing
* enforced simplicity (ie risk of being pulled into unproductive ornamentation)This feels like a remarkably short, though not insignificant, list.

In truth, Mindomo will be the best of these options for brainstorming, organising and reorganising lengthy writing if most development work is done in it from the beginning.

One issue for me that I've noticed is that the text editor for attached notes doesn't seem to have a dark mode option, which risks a glaring white panel. But that should be avoidable. Actually on the web version, it comes up in dark mode on Vivaldi anyway, so no problem at all.

Dormouse:
I thought it might be helpful to give an idea of the main PC programs that I'm using now. (I've ignored programs used for unrelated purposes.)
Some aren't in frequent use, but are an essential part of the system.
It's a very different system to the one I I had when I started this thread. Evernote and OneNote are out.
Some programs have databases, but everything is saved regularly into individual files. The main programs are cross-platform and I have them synced on all devices.
It's organised with inputs at the top, outputs on the right, and supporting programs below.

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

Mindomo is very new, and might not work out, but it fits a clear gap in my system previously tackled with a range of disconnected approaches - a successful bodge job but not the smoothest for workflow or efficiency.

I used it to do the diagram. All floating topics, which is why they don't line up properly. Multitudes of templates and themes, but none quite fitted. I did look at doing a simple change, but quickly learned how detailed and technical some of the configurations were. Will take me a long time to learn those and I'm determined to spend most of my time producing something rather than just learning, so it will be a long journey, even assuming I stay on the path.

Always possible I have forgotten a number of important parts of the system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version