ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (177/244) > >>

Dormouse:
that's a pretty manual process.  It would drive me nuts lolll...
-superboyac (January 31, 2021, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Indexing, I basically use the classic zk of idea of creating a note that links to all the sub-topics.  So i create an index note.  Multiple index notes can link to the same sub-note, that's fine.
-superboyac (January 31, 2021, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think the  difference here is that this part of my process has nothing to do with note-taking or zettelkasten. It's about planning, writing and organising an MSS. If there will be enough for more than one book, moving parts between them so that each one is well structured. Making it easy to see gaps that need filling. Ditto for generating multiple articles from one research programme. And that's the same for a series of articles on aspects of the same issue. Irrelevant if you're hand-to-mouth but essential when you're in a position to plan the series.

If you're a pantser writing fiction it has no value at all. Though, when I think on it, if you write lots of bits it might help you stitch them into coherence.

Has to be manual because all the decisions require thought.

And at the end, you do have an index. If there’s a book series, and each column is a book, with scenes on the rows, all that's needed is to copy a column, put a ! In front of the wikilinks to insert the transclusions, and then export/print the whole MSS.
You'd have other columns in the spreadsheet of course. Word counts, targets, appearance of characters and locations, whatever it is that's helpful for planning or editing/reviewing. But you probably only want that in the spreadsheet.
Would work for a PhD too. Be overkill for an UG essay, but could help with a thesis.
Or multi-stage business plans. Or years of committee meetings. Any whole that splits into multiple sections, with highly detailed components, where each section has a similar structure.

I wouldn't use it at all for zettelkasten type notes (or the value of using it there hasn't struck me yet).

Dormouse:
Any whole that splits into multiple sections, with highly detailed components, where each section has a similar structure
-Dormouse (January 31, 2021, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've realised that it works for any whole with detailed (markdown) components. Structure is just the way I've been using it.

You could think of it as a large desk covered in documents.
Or you could have a  structure at the top/left/middle with unpositioned documents lying around it.
You could use it like Scrivener's corkboard (though here the documents won't lie on top of each other or overlap, though more than one document to a cell is possible). For me, it could work better than the corkboard because the space is so much bigger, though I'd miss drag and drop (or I would if I used Scrivener).

wraith808:
I just found something new- but I'm not sure about its practical use for me - https://orgmode.org/

It's primarily for organization to create a living document. It's more of a note-taking language for technical purposes, with formatting and such a second-class citizen. It reminds me of Jupyter notebooks. As I use my Zettel to format and track my blog posts, I think it wouldn't work for me. It has features that make me tempted to try it out, though.

There's an extension for Visual Studio: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tootone.org-mode- source at https://github.com/vscode-org-mode/vscode-org-mode, but it doesn't seem to have the primary power of Org-mode (blocks, code execution, macros, etc).

I'm really not up on going back to EMACS, so perhaps this is a non-starter.

panzer:
Athens is an open-source and local-first alternative to Roam Research:
https://github.com/athensresearch/athens/

Dormouse:
Org-mode
-wraith808 (March 02, 2021, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I looked at this a while ago. Concluded that it was better than markdown but lack of ubiquity made it too much of a lock-in, as with AsciiDoc. As time has gone on, I'm glad I learned markdown and have an awareness of these alternative options, but I've moved away from using them all. Now it's mostly text with occasional Obsidian commands.

I have developed a very barebones approach to Obsidian. No community themes or plugins (every now and then users report data loss from one of them, and I just don't need the aggravation). And nothing confidential (it's moved from json to a database so no longer immediately readable, but still saves in User folders); I could manage it securely but don't want to have to design a system around a still moving target.

As it is I have a highly functional system requiring little effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version