ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (172/244) > >>

Dormouse:
“aspiration to achieve omniscience.”
-40hz (November 20, 2020, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nothing wrong with that. Just one end of a spectrum. The better end usually.
With total ignorance being the midpoint, and being wrong about everything at the other end.
Life makes it hard for anyone to maintain a comfortable ignorance, which leaves you with a choice of directions.

Dormouse:
Could you perhaps post your thoughts on some Obsidian forum to see if someone can validate your approach?
-wraith808 (November 19, 2020, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
With any particular outcome in mind?

Problem is that the Obsidian forums aren't great at analysis.
And this is an issue only to a tiny minority (possibly only me).
I would have expected more informed responses when I first raised the issue if more informed responses were to be had. And no comment from developers at all.
I have a few more tests to do, and recheck on the latest version, and then I'll probably put a small post on the forum in case anyone else is ever interested.

I mentioned it here as a follow-on to my post explaining my change of direction, to indicate that there were simpler methods of managing it. Certainly it makes it easier for me to continue using Obsidian for most notes, but does nothing to move me from Frankenstein.

Which had advantages anyway. I worked out how to do multi-coloured highlights in markdown fairly easily, but simply using RTF is easier still and it is only a temporary stage for me, not the final document. At some point, I'm sure someone will come up with a better form of plaintext for the average word processor user. It will give up document management and document styling features (the latter are rarely used by most, and the former are little used by the average user) ave but keep the text control and styling. It will give up code blocks. Maybe it will be called marktext.

panzer:
Using Obsidian with Termux and VIM:
https://www.thegadhian.com/posts/using-obsidian-with-termux-and-vim/

wraith808:
With any particular outcome in mind?

-Dormouse (November 20, 2020, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking that it would help you to know where you stand, and if you were covering all your bases with your approach. But if they are less than helpful, I can see why you'd not do that.

40hz:
I'm sure someone will come up with a better form of plaintext for the average word processor user. It will give up document management and document styling features (the latter are rarely used by most, and the former are little used by the average user) ave but keep the text control and styling. It will give up code blocks. Maybe it will be called marktext.
-Dormouse (November 20, 2020, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don’t think it would require an entirely new plaintext format. I suspect it could be adequately handled by XML. The real challenge would be establishing the schema and taxonomies. The mechanics and details of the markup itself aren’t the issue. It’s the meta framework that represents the real work to be done.

Kinda like the old joke about how employing a computer and database for your average problem is often like hitting a fly with a 20-lb sledgehammer.  Easy enough on the face of it - except for the part about how to get the fly to land.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version