ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (165/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I have achieved the setup that accomplishes the goal I originally wanted
-superboyac (October 17, 2020, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Congratulations!.

I'm still tweaking and extending, but I now have a single workstream for everything, writing as well as research. I regard Obsidian as the prime custodian - afaics it is the fastest developing and most professional of the options, so a good bet for lasting the course. I'm not very keen on the alternatives - the best appear to rest on VSCode which I dislike - but I'm sure I can do any conversions required should Obsidian die and others come to the fore. If nothing else does, I'll be a bit stuck because I don't want to do without the linking, but I'm sure I'll get by.

wraith808:
Tag syntax isn't standard markdown is it?
-Dormouse (October 19, 2020, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess not official markdown- but then there's a lot on markdown that's not official.  But I've seen it pretty uniformly done with hashtags indented in order to differentiate between those and headings.

I'm in two minds over extending markdown. As far as I can tell it's been standard practice for a long time and it's the only way to add functions elegantly. otoh it's a pita when apps disagree.
I find some standard markdown with two syntaxes for the same thing distinctly kludgy and some looks like poor design choices - but they're what we have, like qwerty and MS shortcuts.

Obsidian has just introduced block references. By definition that's another markdown extension.
For my money, old markdown has no way of coping with the new PKM uses and so those apps have to adopt their own usage. Preferably with some sort of tacit agreement, in the end, about what those extensions will be.
I prefer [[ ]], so I'm pleased it's becoming a standard, even if it hasn't broken through to editors yet. Editors won't understand other extensions, but that doesn't really matter because they probably won't have that functionality either, and if they decide to add it they will presumably go with the syntax that's been newly established.
-Dormouse (October 19, 2020, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know that I've seen other implementations where they add references that are pseudo markup in order to get around this.  I've seen it in YAML headers where they have a part that's separate from the markup that provides file context.  But I can see how it's the same idea.  I guess the fact that this is inline is what really drew my attention to it negatively.  The one problem I've run across dealing with [[]] is how spaces and other things are represented- have a conflict in my VS code extensions that I just deal with that when I create them by clicking on the link to a new file (something that I love, by the way) two files get created- one with spaces, and one with - replacing the space.  One is also all lowercase, and the other cased as the label is.  I suppose it's not that big of a deal since I haven't done anything to try to figure out what extension is creating the lowercased and dashed file- I just delete it.

Nod5:
Reading https://forum.obsidian.md/t/command-line-interface-to-open-files-folders-in-obsidian-from-the-terminal/860 I stumbled on https://imdone.io/ , a kanban app that reads todo lines from plaintext files.

Have any of you tried using it with Obsidian (or Roam or some other markdown text system)? I like the general idea of adding todos quickly and with relatively little structure along the way when in just-get-text-out writing mode and then use some such tool later to help overview and act on tasks orderly, via kanban or some other method.

Dormouse:
I like the general idea of adding todos quickly and with relatively little structure along the way when in just-get-text-out writing mode and then use some such tool later to help overview and act on tasks orderly, via kanban or some other method.-Nod5 (October 22, 2020, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've not used it and I've never been a big users of todos, though I play with them every now and again.
There's definitely been discussion there about a script to collect all undone todos across the vault and put them together, but I didn't take in any of the details.
If I was going to do that in Obsidian, I'd be tempted to just park the Todoist plugin in a sidebar and add them there as I went along.
I suspect that there will be quite a lot of development of this type of functionality.

Dormouse:
The one problem I've run across dealing with [[]] is how spaces and other things are represented-wraith808 (October 19, 2020, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
There seem to be perennial problems with spaces in markdown. And I don't think HTML helps much either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version