ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (162/244) > >>

superboyac:
I'm trying to figure out how to create a service out of the neuron executable.  I'm not a linux guy, can anyone help?

I have neuron running on an ubuntu server (cli, no gui).
I understand i have to use systemd to create a service.  So I created the service file according to some instructions I found.  But I am getting errors about:
bad unit file setting

the file is like this:

--- Code: Text ---[Unit]Description=neuron sync2After=network.target [Service]Type=simpleUser=user1WorkingDirectory=/home/user1/neuronExecStart=neuron -d /home/user1/neuron/sync1 rib -ws 192.168.1.2:9191Restart=always # or always, on-abort, etc [Install]WantedBy=multi-user.target
I think the problem is in the workingdirectory or execstart lines.
Any suggestions?  When i run the command there in the execstart line manually, everything works perfectly.  But I want it a service so it is always running even if it gets killed or rebooted, etc.

40hz:
I think the problem is in the workingdirectory
-superboyac (October 11, 2020, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like systemd can’t find the script.

Check the full path of the neuron directory. Is anything missing? Is user1 inside another folder?

for example, try: 

/root/home/user1/neuron
for your working directory entry.

superboyac:
I think the problem is in the workingdirectory
-superboyac (October 11, 2020, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like systemd can’t find the script.

Check the full path of the neuron directory. Is anything missing? Is user1 inside another folder?

for example, try: 

/root/home/user1/neuron
for your working directory entry.

-40hz (October 12, 2020, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes that worked!  i had to modify a couple of things, but mainly i had to add the full path.
I tried doing some $PATH stuff but couldn't figure it out.

now, it is running successfully as a service, so cool.  IN fact, i have two instances running, and can do more, just need to change the port.  This is going to take my book writing to a new level.  All i need to do is write text files, any changes are instantly updated.

The overall solution to the service was...i make a bash .sh file with the command in there...then i make that service file for it.  So two files per service.  Amazing.  I like it much much better than wordpress; better than any platform i've used.

superboyac:
OK guys, after almost two years of following this discussion, I have achieved the setup that accomplishes the goal I originally wanted....to be able to write books quickly, the way i heard about that luhrman guy.  The key is neuron for me as being able to see the website updated instantly as i type has been the most motivating feature for me.  Amazing stuff.

I seem to be using Obsidian mostly for writing.  Truly amazing setup, i have yearned for this for maybe 15+ years, you can see my posts here lolll.

Dormouse:
they have a features filter so you can quickly find a most appropriate software for you:
https://www.noteapps.info/features
-panzer (October 11, 2020, 01:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Problem is that they're wrong or misleading. They have Obsidian up now so I could just read to see how bad it is. Even by the standards of internet reviews, I'd regard it as a very shoddy job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version