ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (159/244) > >>

superboyac:
Do you sync the MD files to neuron or Github?  And does the github repo have to be public?
-wraith808 (October 04, 2020, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't want to use github because I don't like the way it syncs.  Also, I don't know how to sync my local server files with github, as I have neuron running on a local server.
But I am having some issues, "file is locked" sort of thing.  I am syncing files directly using ftp or syncovery, or straight network transfer.
But the above error is what I'm sorting through now as I broke something and now the website isn't updating when I transfer files over.

Still working it all out, but hopefully this is the solution for me.
I think, yes, the github repo needs to be public.  Not sure.  The basic instructions say to use public.

superboyac:
Aha!  Everything is working brilliantly, except for this one decision.  And this goes to the heart of our discussion here, LOLLLL!

See this link:
https://neuron.zettel.page/id.html

this part:
Use title IDs when you want truly future-proof link IDs that work on any text editor. However, note that this comes at the cost that you are willing to rename them (manually or using a script) across your Zettelkasten if the title ID of any of your notes changes.
--- End quote ---

Here, I have to make a choice.  Do I use filenames with ID (as in, the datenumber field 202008081112.md), OR do I use the title yaml field in the actual note itself?  Many pages back, I knew this would be a critical decision loll, that's why I'm laughing....because no matter how different these software are, they all have to make this fundamental choice here .

THis guy has left it up to the user, which is nice.  But, he is saying that it does come with consequences.

If I use the ID number, this is easier in that I never have to rename the html files which are only generated once (they don't update if you change the filename of your md or your yaml header). 

If I use a descriptive title that I can freely modify, then the problem there is I have to update the html files with some script or manually (PITA). 

If you don't want the headache of renaming html files constantly....use the ID.md filenames
If you want a descriptive html filename...use a descriptive md file.

I said earlier it would be great if someone wrote a nifty tool that can do these renaming functions.  I think it would get used a lot.

superboyac:
confirm...yes, doing it the ######.md is way easier.  I don't want to go and rename html files.

The negative is when I use Zettlr or Obsidian, etc., there are no titles shown in the index, just numbers.

Still, this neuron is the bomb.

Dormouse:
If you don't want the headache of renaming html files constantly....use the ID.md filenames
If you want a descriptive html filename...use a descriptive md file.
-superboyac (October 05, 2020, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use PhraseExpress shortcuts to produce the zet style date/time UIDs, one in a ###### header. I can then add any title text I want either before or after  the ID. Any text expander should do this.

So, I can have descriptive titles and UIDs in the same title.

wraith808:
So they're just munged together?  i.e. This Is My Topic ######.md?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version