ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (157/244) > >>

JavaJones:
In our excitement at reunion, let us not forgot Codex.
-JavaJones (September 30, 2020, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I watched a few of the videos. It all seems a bit stream of consciousness from what I’ve seen so far. Is there a design document for it that's available to read? Maybe I haven’t watched the right video - or enough of them yet. But I’m having a little trouble getting my head around the central paradigm and design of the thing.
-40hz (September 30, 2020, 08:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's fair. In that case perhaps best to wait until the beta is available or something. Just know that it exists and, if you're interested in the potential that interlinking your knowledge has, then Codex may end up with one of the stronger implementations of it in the end. Particularly of interest to academics, which I think is his main intended audience, but from what I've seen it may actually make a great personal knowledge management and research tool as well. At least that's *my* hope and interest in it.

Will let you know when there is more to see...

- Oshyan

superboyac:
OK quick update from my end....

I wanted to focus on using markdown and these systems to create websites easily (automatically by just syncing files)
first suggestion was Pico CMS...i tried it, it's good...I'm sticking with this one, it seems to check all the boxes.

the other one, Neuron, i also tried this, but it's only "automatic" if you use github.  Otherwise, dropping the files in and out simply, doesn't work like pico.  you have to keep regenerating the site. This is a bummer, as the software is quite simple and nice.  Anyway, pico still is fine.

So now I'll be spending hours trying to figure out the theming system, which is a lot more complex than i thought...

wraith808:
Pico theming is pretty complicated.  I'm currently using Skull on my site, and really like it.  I tried pure for a while, and it's not bad, but skull was more to my liking.  Ohters I tried, were clutter, dimension, notepaper (example), and story (example).

I was seriously thinking that NotePaper was going to be it- I had it up and running on a different site.  But I found the concepts of the theme constrained how I published, and didn't really like it.  But you're right, because of the use of twig, it's a bit more complicated that it seems, even if a lot more powerful because of it.  Once you get it down, it's pretty easy, though.

superboyac:
Pico theming is pretty complicated.  I'm currently using Skull on my site, and really like it.  I tried pure for a while, and it's not bad, but skull was more to my liking.  Ohters I tried, were clutter, dimension, notepaper (example), and story (example).

I was seriously thinking that NotePaper was going to be it- I had it up and running on a different site.  But I found the concepts of the theme constrained how I published, and didn't really like it.  But you're right, because of the use of twig, it's a bit more complicated that it seems, even if a lot more powerful because of it.  Once you get it down, it's pretty easy, though.
-wraith808 (October 03, 2020, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now I'm looking at Grav.  I heard it's like Pico but better in some ways.

Ideally, I want Neuron but with ability to just sync md files like pico.  You can do it, but i think only with github. 
If that guy would release his website code, Andy Matsuchashik, then that would be cool too.
Just trying to get an auto-published markdown site, with a dark theme, single column.  that's all.

superboyac:
OK here's a question:

For Neuron, I really like it and want to use it.  But I want it accessed through my domain, not my github site.  This is where I'm stuck.
I also installed it on my own server, but when i sync the md files back and forth it doesn't update automatically.  I think i have to restart the service every time or something.  It was something I could not figure out.  It's not like Pico where you can just sync the md files whenever you like.

It's also different than Pico in that I don't think I can just put the files on my webhost server, and expect it to work, because i think i have to run the service.  Hence, github is the only way i see to do "auto" publishing.

Can anyone help me with the part of syncing files on my server?  or having it work on my webhost?  Or just say its impossible or why or why not?  I don't quite get it.

edit...
actually, check that.  I tried syncing files, and it is working as I desired!!
http://tbg.mywire.org:8080/z-index.html
Check it out.
I don't quite understand some of the structure as far as how to organize the files into subfolders and such, but check that out!!  I mean, this is really quite nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version