ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (153/244) > >>

40hz:
I've also given a lot of thought to names. It's important that I know instantly what a folder is for - so nothing I don't instantly recognise - and the physical analogies work well for me. They also need the right vibe because that helps me work better. Its a very personal set of preferences.
-Dormouse (September 25, 2020, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That’s an extremely interesting approach. It has echos of an older technique that’s usually referred to as a ‘memory palace,’ where one’s classification of stored information is mentally linked to mnemonic imagery that most often takes the form of rooms and places in a real or imaginary building, or the landmarks found along a familiar walk.

It’s a valuable mental technique worth cultivating, to say nothing of an approach  that works equally well when mapped out to external technologies such as outlines, wikis, note tags, text databases, and similar technical innovations.  :up:

(P.S. It’s been awhile for me. Nice to see some of the old crew can still be found having interesting discussions on DC.)  :)

40hz:
I know how it works, working at a financial reporting institution.  I'm just saying that the 200m valuation is high based on the fact that we do know.  And standards indicate that it is a percentage of the sales+assets-liabilities over a period of time.  It's a standard and known fact.
-wraith808 (September 24, 2020, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Running a Z-score calculation is also helpful. It’s not a 100% reliable predictor. But it’s right often enough that, when combined with ratio analysis and a good hard look at the fundamentals, it can give you a pretty clear idea of just how big a gamble you’re taking.

After that it’s time to play Dirty Harry. As in: “How lucky do you feel?”  ;D

Institutional investors, being bound by concerns about fiduciary responsibility and reputation, need to be more cautious than individual and small investors who my chose to take an  occasional ‘flyer’ and hope for the best.

And who knows? Sometimes long shots do pay off. Just so long as you can responsibly afford the risk - and understand it’s more akin to gambling than investing - there’s no harm done.

wraith808:
That’s an extremely interesting approach. It has echos of an older technique that’s usually referred to as a ‘memory palace,’ where one’s classification of stored information is mentally linked to mnemonic imagery that most often takes the form of rooms and places in a real or imaginary building, or the landmarks found along a familiar walk.
-40hz (September 28, 2020, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I saw that referenced on an episode (the last episode maybe) of the Librarians.  I didn't realize that it was a real thing.

40hz:
I saw that referenced on an episode (the last episode maybe) of the Librarians.  I didn't realize that it was a real thing.
-wraith808 (September 28, 2020, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Prior to the advent of affordable books the practice of training up human memory and recall to produce an “artificial memory” was a highly valued skill. You can find a general introduction to it here.

The basics of the technique are pretty simple:

But it takes some planning and a commitment to regular practice. However, speaking from experience, it’s very doable. And fun too!   :):Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Thanks!  Another rabbit hole for me to go down!  ;D :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version