ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (152/244) > >>

Dormouse:
Hoard Archive (the large reserve pool)
Inbox Vestibule (small pool ready to power processing)
Sources Library (archive that's been processed in the production of Notes)
Scriptorium (notes and all other unpublished material I have written myself,  essentially work in progress at all stages)
Reading Room (my published work)
Attics (processed items not considered worth keeping in Library -  I realised that simply putting them in Archive (unprocessed) or throwing them away completely might mean that they were processed again in future because they give initial impression of being interesting).
Chapter House - for anything requiring action: todo lists, emails etc.
-Dormouse (May 31, 2020, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I decided to trial a switch to folders. Some advantages, some disadvantages  - but bulk changes are easy with a Text Editor. So there'll be no problem if I decide to switch back.

After some experience with the system, I've decided to extend it. Mostly to include more mundane issues: correspondence, todos & etc. Works best in the system because they sometimes need linking and it keeps everything in one place.

I've also given a lot of thought to names. It's important that I know instantly what a folder is for - so nothing I don't instantly recognise - and the physical analogies work well for me. They also need the right vibe because that helps me work better. Its a very personal set of preferences.

Papyri - all the notes, research etc
Vestibule - limited size space for new notes;
Library - all fully processed useful notes;
Archive - unprocessed notes squeezed out of the Vestibule because of limited space;
Attics - fully processed nites which have outlived their usefulness, or more frequently were deemed unhelpful from the start.

Vivarium - my own writing and research; creative, academic, practical etc.
Scriptorium - writing in progress ; includes all the planning etc.
Reading Room  - completed and published work
Bibliothekai - unattached or unused bits of writing

The Rolls - administrative records and documentation
Chancery - written records and correspondence
Exchequer  - financial records and correspondence
Chapter House - todo lists, emails etc - stuff for immediate or imminent action
Treasury - a separate secure vault only stored locally. This is for confidential information.

Nalanda - all the sources

Canary Wharf - anything work related. This vault is local only.

Explanation of name choice, if anyone is interested:
SpoilerPapyri - it's the plural of papyrus, but mostly reminds me of the House of Papyri in Herculaneum.
Vestibule - a small room or antechamber in great houses and other buildings. Always small.
Library  - I  imagine it as like a private room in the Bodleian.
Reading Room - like the Reading Room in the British Museum
Archives  - the endless rows of books and manuscripts in the Bodleian stacks or the British Library,  many, if not most, entirely unread.

Vivarium - an early monastery and educational facility in the south of Italy. Attempted to copy and preserve old books and manuscripts from across the ancient world
Scriptorium  - the room, or space, in which monastic scribes worked.
Bibliothekai  - shelves and cabinets in the Great Library of Alexandria

The Rolls - formal charters and records kept as part of the governance of England from 1200 or so. The senior judge in the Court of Appeal is still called the Master of the  Rolls.
Chancery - the place where scribes wrote and stored government records
Exchequer - ditto for managing government taxes and revenues
Chaper House - the very large room in monasteries, used for daily meetings, task allocation etc

Treasury - the secure storage place for precious goods, used since ancient times.

Nalanda - renowned and very early Buddhist monastery and university in Northern India

Canary Wharf - huge (from a London perspective) set of office blocks east of the City of London, contains many banks and finance firms. The area is the Isle of Dogs. Artificial,  nothing organic about it at all.

wraith808:
Very interesting that you apply so much thought to the naming conventions and stylize them!  I wonder if that gives a bit of a boost to the chance of the system 'working'.

Dormouse:
I'm not sure whether it's just odd, but I do find it puts me into a better mindset for working. You'll maybe have noticed that there's a different vibe in each section.

I noticed someone on the Obsidian forums using a seedbox analogy, presumably with further steps leading to evergreen notes. So it's not just me.

The target with my overall system is removing frustrating friction and points where indecision creates stasis. And I expect the names to create a mental impression of somewhere I associate with the right type of productivity.

The one I'm least comfortable with is Nalanda because, as far as I know,  there was no contact between it and the Vivarium, though I'm sure they'd have been keen to copy their manuscripts if they'd access. Most accurate examples just have Library in their names which would have created a clash. Serapeum might be accurate, but was just a short-lived remnant of the Great Library of Alexandria. Pergamum would have been good (probably the second greatest Library in the Roman Empire), but the infamous Robert Maxwell named his publishing house Pergamon Press - later bought by Elsevier which I also dislike, so would have just irritated. So I  had to go further afield, and Nalanda works and had many similarities with the Vivarium.

Helps me be in the right mood like having music on.
But I know that doesn't work for everyone either.

Dormouse:
Just rearranging deck chairs,
trusting I'm not on a Titanic design.

I was heavily into tags and links with few folders. I came to realise that there was little gain from that when a tag was categorical with boundaries that were rarely crossed. So I've shifted notes around so that some are in sub-folders. Creates the option if making them vaults,  even if I don't see a need right now.

It's also highlighted the dependence of nearly all designs on folders, even where tags can do a better job. If I could cut and dice tag views in the same way I can folders, I would have had no temptation to change. As things stand with many programs, the most flexible visual options come from using both folders and tags together.

superboyac:

Just rearranging deck chairs,
trusting I'm not on a Titanic design.

I was heavily into tags and links with few folders. I came to realise that there was little gain from that when a tag was categorical with boundaries that were rarely crossed. So I've shifted notes around so that some are in sub-folders. Creates the option if making them vaults,  even if I don't see a need right now.

It's also highlighted the dependence of nearly all designs on folders, even where tags can do a better job. If I could cut and dice tag views in the same way I can folders, I would have had no temptation to change. As things stand with many programs, the most flexible visual options come from using both folders and tags together.
-Dormouse (September 25, 2020, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
agree...rigid and flexible to the exact degree you prefer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version