ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (131/244) > >>

Dormouse:
It's nice to see the expansion in the category even if I'm not going to test anything else out until Obsidian achieves its roadmap unless I hit a glitch  - which doesn't seem likely. The ability to just add them to the system is very reassuring.

Dormouse:
One lesser spotted feature of Luhmann's system is his advice to work on anything only for as long as you want and then switch to something else.

Since starting to move stuff into Obsidian,  I've noticed that this has really improved productivity. It's because I now have one system and one workflow for everything. I never have to switch from one set of toys (progs and files) to another. Writing,  research: just do it - project switching is all in the brain. Think about dinner,  need recipe is all the same. Temperature too high? Ditto.

It's not the single boundaried academic system envisaged by Luhmann,  but my brain's never been great at boundaries and this allows me to follow its lead, with no friction. And I don't have to be uncomfortably disciplined beyond what comes naturally.

Not so smooth on Android, but I remain hopeful that will be sorted around the end of the year. 

wraith808:
Not so smooth on Android, but I remain hopeful that will be sorted around the end of the year. 
-Dormouse (July 28, 2020, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually find myself not using the system on the go, still resorting to my notebooks, and just transcribing when I get to my computer.  With the quarantine and working from home, that's not as much of an issue as it would be otherwise, but I do need to figure out what I'm going to do on that front.  As I still keep my bullet journal, I might be able to integrate that in with the daily notes.  It's just more work translating from one medium to another.

Dormouse:
I can understand that.

I find using Vivaldi helps.
That's what I tend to use for new stuff.

And editing old can be done on quite a few programs.

But I'm looking forward to having a native Obsidian app. I'd be cogitating more if I didn't know it was coming. Or if the developers weren't so fast.

wraith808:
I haven't opened Obsidian in a while now.  I just find VS code with the extension scaffolding works a lot better for my process.  I have my Zettel and notes open from one folder, and in the same workspace I have my current project, whatever that is.  I can flip back and forth between writing, coding, etc. and note-taking as I work without switching applications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version