ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (123/244) > >>

superboyac:
Pico generates the files on the fly.  I upload Markdown, and it stays as Markdown.  It's just rendered in the browser.
-wraith808 (July 12, 2020, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
PICO FOR THE WIN!!  awesome...i swear i searched for hours sheesh

Dormouse:
I find Markdown attractive for writing on the computer.  The guy has good points. 
Part of the attraction is that developers have been trying to use markdown to create nice gui's for writing, like zettlr.  It's very satisfying to see all the colors and headings change by putting the pound or asterisk symbol, etc.

It's nice that a lot of people have latched on to the format, and we all feel we can use these text files to get around in life.  I think part of this guy's comments doesn't appreciate the aesthetics of the writing community.

But again, on a technical level, he has points...and I have struggled very much with the conversion of documents.
-superboyac (July 12, 2020, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think he's writing out of long experience and frustration.
And he's right in that markdown was devised for techies  - programmers and web writers of the day. Thats why code blocks have a degree of precedence. And it doesn't have many features, like colour, that some writers use: random acceptance of different HTML is frustrating. As is random acceptance of bits from other languages like YAML. It's like a bicycle invented by a carpenter, the idea is good but it's stuffed with issues that many feel they can solve with a bit of bodging; and competing carpenters conventions which decide which bodges should be used more widely.

And all the previews and wysiwygs depend on a conversion to HTML,  which conversion is inconsistent,  as he points out.

Most of the time it doesn't matter to me. I'm usually quite happy with text. But it depends what I'm doing. I'm used to using multi colour highlighting when I'm editing or reviewing, but colour use is reserved for syntax in a text editor (otherwise they'd compete). I'm used to sophisticated tables in some areas of writing; there are some fairly easy primitive editors,  like Typora, but generally much easier to produce tables in a word processor.

Dormouse:
plain text files --> good looking website
-superboyac (July 12, 2020, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Markdown should certainly be good at this. It's part of what it was designed for and most websites accept markdown. PICO looks like a reasonable option for designing a website purely for your own documents,  though there's a lot of techie type setting up. Obsidian will be adding it as a (paid) option in the next few months, but I think it will need to be simpler for many users (many Obsidian users appear to be programmers, IT students or techie other - but many are at the other end of the techie spectrum).

wraith808:
PICO looks like a reasonable option for designing a website purely for your own documents
-Dormouse (July 13, 2020, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Why do you say 'purely for your own documents'?

Dormouse:
Why do you say 'purely for your own documents'?
-wraith808 (July 13, 2020, 09:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Poor phrasing.
I meant it as a way of making a website out of your documents rather than uploading your documents into a website. It was an assumption that it worked like that.

I've mostly converted my websites to WP because of its ubiquity. Which, in turn, makes it easier to manage security because attack mechanisms are usually identified fairly quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version