ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (122/244) > >>

panzer:
Taking notes on Tiago Forte's Just-in-Time Project Management:
http://reganmian.net/blog/2020/01/31/note-taking-with-roam/

Beyond Taking Notes (or how I joined the #roamcult):
https://dev.to/tmhall99/beyond-taking-notes-or-how-i-joined-the-roamcult-22k3

Metaroam:
https://roamresearch.com/#/app/metaroam

wraith808:
So, one thing I found out about using VS code for editing- the editor isn't actually plain text.  I was writing up some e-mails in response to a couple of action items that I had in a note, planning to transfer it to gmail to send.  When I copied and pasted the text, it came in formatted like it is in VS Code.  Just thought it was a jarring thing that some might find interesting.  In no way a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.

superboyac:
So, one thing I found out about using VS code for editing- the editor isn't actually plain text.  I was writing up some e-mails in response to a couple of action items that I had in a note, planning to transfer it to gmail to send.  When I copied and pasted the text, it came in formatted like it is in VS Code.  Just thought it was a jarring thing that some might find interesting.  In no way a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.
-wraith808 (July 11, 2020, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
that's super weird.  Kind of cool, if it could be a feature you can manually control.

superboyac:
What’s Wrong with Markdown?
https://www.adamhyde...wrong-with-markdown/
-panzer (July 09, 2020, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I enjoyed reading this, but it stopped so quickly.
I think he could make it a weekly blog for a few years and then bundle it up into a book.
-Dormouse (July 10, 2020, 04:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
yes indeed lol.

I find Markdown attractive for writing on the computer.  The guy has good points. 
Part of the attraction is that developers have been trying to use markdown to create nice gui's for writing, like zettlr.  It's very satisfying to see all the colors and headings change by putting the pound or asterisk symbol, etc.

It's nice that a lot of people have latched on to the format, and we all feel we can use these text files to get around in life.  I think part of this guy's comments doesn't appreciate the aesthetics of the writing community.

But again, on a technical level, he has points...and I have struggled very much with the conversion of documents.

My dream is that something like markdown text files can be used to create live websites, similar to what andy matsuchack has going on in his blog that he won't share with anyone.

from the website perspective...i can't stand how big of a beast wordpress is when 90% of what i want to do is covered by markdown files.  I just want to sync markdown files to a server and have a website created around that, i think it would be great and so would a lot of others.  I just don't think the formatting issues this guy mentions is that big a deal.  So you write a conversion thing using css to customize the markdown styles.  so what?  That's easy and people would LOVE that.

html and wysiwig html editors are similar too, but they never took off like this.  rtf was sort of supposed to be like markdown.

but the idea of self contained, formatted plain text documents is VERY attractive.  Html or markdown, but markdown is frankly more smooth.

i would ask everyone who is obsessed with this like me to think back on the evolution of all this (from a note taking perspective, not programming)....
we've seen (even right here on these discussion forums) how evernote took off and evolved.  This idea of not being able to move notes easily in and out of software is a huge pain, and like the OP here, we want to avoid this forever.  I loved evernote, but hated this particular aspect of it.  And they are all like that. 

plain text files --> good looking website
whoever does this nicely will be king.

wraith808:
My dream is that something like markdown text files can be used to create live websites, similar to what andy matsuchack has going on in his blog that he won't share with anyone.
-superboyac (July 12, 2020, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is already a reality.

I currently use it on my site with Pico.  There's also Postachio which does the same with files in Evernote, and Jekyll.  I'm sure there are others, but those three have distinct differences so I posted those (and they're the ones I've used- go figure).

Pico generates the files on the fly.  I upload Markdown, and it stays as Markdown.  It's just rendered in the browser.

Postachio grabs the Markdown files from an Evernote folder.  I suppose for all intents and purposes, since it's Markdown in Evernote, it does the same as Pico, other than the fact that your Markdown notes are in Evernote.

Jekyll is a static site generator.  You run it, it generates the site in a folder that you upload as is to your site.

I personally settled on Pico as I don't have to generate the site, and I have the plain files as text files that I can do whatever I want with, and the source is on the server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version