ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (119/244) > >>

Nod5:
If you work plainly with text, which is fine for capturing your thoughts- this looks pretty amazing.  However I find myself thinking how do I get other things in it?
-sphere (July 08, 2020, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Underlying question: what different ways can something be "in" the system? What way is most useful for what content?

Most of what you listed can already be "in" a plaintext note in the minimal sense of adding a reference/link to it.

But I assume you want more than that. For example, the full plaintext content of a PDF file added as a note on par with the other markdown notes? So that that content becomes searchable and linkable at some more fine grained resolution (chapters/paragraphs/sentences/words). Or a way to embed an audio file, shown as a playback control with pause play and a slider at a specific position in the notes? Or some other way?

We can think of internal and external links. Internal links are resolved inside the software. For example a link in a MD file that links to a section in another MD file. External links point to everything else, items in the local filesystem, or LAN or Internet.

Dormouse:
Most of what you listed can already be "in" a plaintext note
-Nod5 (July 09, 2020, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
And one of the aspects I like is that the note itself isn't "in" the system. It can simultaneously be "in" many systems so long as conflicting changes are avoided. Work in one program, save before switching to another.

Obsidian looks as if it will grow into a great spider, with any number of mites on its back, but lays no claim to own any of the notes.

wraith808:
Obsidian looks as if it will grow into a great spider, with any number of mites on its back, but lays no claim to own any of the notes.
-Dormouse (July 09, 2020, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is what I like also.  I use a variety of programs to work with my zettels, and none of them care about the others.

sphere:
Your are right Nod5,

Underlying question: what different ways can something be "in" the system? What way is most useful for what content?

--- End quote ---

Agreed.   And to what purpose. 

Most of what you listed can already be "in" a plaintext note in the minimal sense of adding a reference/link to it.

But I assume you want more than that. For example, the full plaintext content of a PDF file added as a note on par with the other markdown notes? So that that content becomes searchable and linkable at some more fine grained resolution (chapters/paragraphs/sentences/words).
--- End quote ---

You are correct that I want more than that.  The question about getting things into the system was more about the workflow to arrive at a place where everything is ready and usable. In the case of a pdf, I would like the plain text with annotations and even highlights ingested so that the connections are still intact.  Annotations already linked to the text (images or audio) in the pdf.  There is already inherent relationships that I would rather not spend the time recreating prior to utilizing the information gathered.

Or a way to embed an audio file, shown as a playback control with pause play and a slider at a specific position in the notes? Or some other way?

--- End quote ---

This would be great. Being able to record, cut splice and index the audio (with some versioning history) in much the same way that one can with text would be even better. There is specialized software that can be used to do this though they are pretty clunky.  With most of these knowledge management systems, the most you can do is link or embed. 

We can think of internal and external links. Internal links are resolved inside the software. For example a link in a MD file that links to a section in another MD file. External links point to everything else, items in the local filesystem, or LAN or Internet.

--- End quote ---

Do you know how these links that are resolved inside obsidian work?  Are the MD files taged somehow to indicate that they are linked to other files. I assume that Obsidian looks at the MD files to create load much the same way a website loads.  The MD files are the building blocks.

sphere:
Most of what you listed can already be "in" a plaintext note
-Nod5 (July 09, 2020, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
And one of the aspects I like is that the note itself isn't "in" the system. It can simultaneously be "in" many systems so long as conflicting changes are avoided. Work in one program, save before switching to another.

-Dormouse (July 09, 2020, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am curious what other systems you use and to what purpose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version