ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (117/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I did read the Trilium website,  and looked at the pictures.
Quite a lot of things put me off trying it.
The emphasis on scripting suggested that I wasn't part of its target market.
Database instead of files.
Syntax.
Overstretched developer.
Looks. I'd probably write look and feel if I had actually felt it.
Lack of mobile version or confidence in one coming.

At one time I would have considered it more deeply,  but Obsidian is a good fit for me. File based, so I can use other programs and don't have to worry about export. Syntax that's easy to write. Experienced professional developers who seem to be working well within themselves and, I'm sure,  have a financial plan and already have a successful program. Developing fast and mobile should be here by year end (and they're not Scrivener,  so target dates have been met so far). Always possible they take it in a direction I dislike,  but then I still have all my files.

Dormouse:
Having a system freely showcases the inherent connections between pieces of information is really attractive.  I think Roamresearch and Obsidian are getting closer to that.
-sphere (July 08, 2020, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
The graphs are interesting. Pretty, even if they're not very useful yet. Can zoom in. Quite a lot of examples on the Obsidian discord channel. They will become much more powerful. I assume Roam has similar, though I've not been interested enough to look.

sphere:
I just took some time and did some reading on obsidian and I am impressed.  It does also seem to have a huge following that will likely drive it as well. Interest and excitement like RoamResearch.   The thing that really caught my eye was that it has an audio plugin where you can record directly into a note.  Audio recordings and files ( and multimedia in general) are a very important part of my current "knowledge base."

Scripting  in a product like Trilium does not target me either.  However, in theory it means I might be able to use that scripting to automate some of my workflow going forward, and if I am lucky,  incorporating that vast amounts of files I have scattered in different formats.   I would like something that can rather quickly ingest thousands of varying types of files.

sphere:
https://notes.andymatuschak.org

This website design is so incredible.  I want this.  How can I do this?
-superboyac (July 02, 2020, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Superboyac,
I stumbled onto some clues that might help your figure this out.  If you take a look at this thread from a little over a month ago on Ycombinator  you will see somone asked the exact same question after someone said the following:

User rhezab said the following :

"I currently use Andy Matuschak's [1] system, using his note-link-janitor script [2] to generate backlinks and Typora to edit. The only thing Obsidian adds is the graph view for me, but it seems that Obsidian generates backlinks using file name, not title. I prefer linking by title. Perhaps this can be an option? The editor also seems to be lacking a little... for instance I can't seem to render math. Hopefully some of my feedback will be useful to you.

Overall really cool idea, but probably not going to use for now. Will keep tabs, and wish you the best of luck!"
[1] https://notes.andymatuschak.org/About_these_notes [2] https://github.com/andymatuschak/note-link-janitor"
--- End quote ---

Someone else mentioned  TiddlyWiki + Krystal Theme + a few plugins...
--- End quote ---

which might be another way of doing it.  But the following comment seems more likely

aesadde 40 days ago [–]...I believe you can use this Gatsby theme to get the behavior you're looking for https://github.com/aravindballa/gatsby-theme-andy "
--- End quote ---

And if you go take a look it on github, it looks very similar.
Go forth and conquer!

Dormouse:
for instance I can't seem to render math
-sphere (July 08, 2020, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Obsidian renders math perfectly well now.
Editor is okay, but external editor is always an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version