ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (109/244) > >>

wraith808:
I don't think that Foam is trying to compete.  And putting it in the category with the other two seems like conflation.

Dormouse:
conflation
-wraith808 (June 26, 2020, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
But it specifically talks about being inspired by Roam and zettelkasten. What other category would it go in?
It may not be trying to compete, in which case it won't.
I don't think Obsidian is out to compete either because it's approach is very different,  but it's certainly in a similar space and users compare them.  And they have mentioned Foam.

tsaint:
What I'm doing right now is a combination of things.  I took the extensions from foam but used the format of obsidian- I write in obsidian or in vs code.  Really liking it so far.
-wraith808 (June 25, 2020, 10:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
man i am not understanding how to even install foam.  it's an extension of vs code, which is an editor?  these programs are so complicated loll....ill get it sheesh.

-superboyac (June 25, 2020, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. Go to https://github.com/foambubble/foam-template
2. Click use thiis template
3. Fill out the name of the repo that you want to use for Foam, and make it private or public as you wish
4. Open VS code.
5. Go to the source control tab and click clone
6. Clone it to your local drive wherever you want your Zettel stored
7. Authenticate to GitHub
8. After it is cloned, it will ask you to install recommended extensions.  Do that (it will change your theme- booo... but you can change it back)
9. There is no 9.  You're there.
-wraith808 (June 26, 2020, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
1, 2, 3,4 ...check
5: Source control tab unsighted ... should I be looking in VS code or github or...?
6. Clone options ...open in desktop or download as zip. Which? (I downloaded as zip, unzipped and then wondered)
7. Authenticate to Github ... how?
8. I cloned, downloaded as mentioned above, didn't get asked for anything. Opened VS code, opened folder which the clone got unzipped to, still not asked for anything.
   Did have the option of installing 2 extensions(?) tho

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for your list of instructions.
Probably one step I didn't do right resolves all I'm asking about...would appreciate any help
thanks

wraith808:
conflation
-wraith808 (June 26, 2020, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
But it specifically talks about being inspired by Roam and zettelkasten. What other category would it go in?
It may not be trying to compete, in which case it won't.
I don't think Obsidian is out to compete either because it's approach is very different,  but it's certainly in a similar space and users compare them.  And they have mentioned Foam.
-Dormouse (June 26, 2020, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Conflation in that two are reasonably commercial products and one is not.  It's in a similar space, you might compare them- but to say its competing is, I think, not really in Foam's approach, no matter who might mention them.

wraith808:
1, 2, 3,4 ...check
5: Source control tab unsighted ... should I be looking in VS code or github or...?
6. Clone options ...open in desktop or download as zip. Which? (I downloaded as zip, unzipped and then wondered)
7. Authenticate to Github ... how?
8. I cloned, downloaded as mentioned above, didn't get asked for anything. Opened VS code, opened folder which the clone got unzipped to, still not asked for anything.
   Did have the option of installing 2 extensions(?) tho

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for your list of instructions.
Probably one step I didn't do right resolves all I'm asking about...would appreciate any help
thanks
-tsaint (June 26, 2020, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

In Visual Studio Code in the sidebar there should be an icon for source control.  The shortcut is CTRL+G G.

I've enclosed an image of my sidebar with the button highlighted.  Once you click that all should become clear.

One thing that might not be clear is what you put in the source textbox when it asks you for it- if you go back to github in your repo, at the top of the repo there should be a button that says Clone.  Click it, and copy the url for https (it should be the default one selected when you click the drop down).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version