ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (108/244) > >>

panzer:
built on Visual Studio Code and GitHub:
-panzer (June 25, 2020, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Stunning how many there are popping up
-Dormouse (June 25, 2020, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just wanted to say that.

Dormouse:
That's not a different one.  It's used by Foam.

Recommended Extensions for Foam
-wraith808 (June 25, 2020, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aha!
I see it now. Obsidian sits over md files, this sits over VS Code and its extensions. Clever.
Apart from the allusion,  I'm unsure what the name is saying. "Sitting above the dirty Tiber"?

Assuming it's functional enough,  I can see it being popular with all the VS Code and Git users, and those who dislike Obsidian being closed source.

But possibly overkill in its requirements for those who aren't.

wraith808:
What I'm doing right now is a combination of things.  I took the extensions from foam but used the format of obsidian- I write in obsidian or in vs code.  Really liking it so far.
-wraith808 (June 25, 2020, 10:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
man i am not understanding how to even install foam.  it's an extension of vs code, which is an editor?  these programs are so complicated loll....ill get it sheesh.

-superboyac (June 25, 2020, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. Go to https://github.com/foambubble/foam-template
2. Click use thiis template
3. Fill out the name of the repo that you want to use for Foam, and make it private or public as you wish
4. Open VS code.
5. Go to the source control tab and click clone
6. Clone it to your local drive wherever you want your Zettel stored
7. Authenticate to GitHub
8. After it is cloned, it will ask you to install recommended extensions.  Do that (it will change your theme- booo... but you can change it back)
9. There is no 9.  You're there.

wraith808:
That's not a different one.  It's used by Foam.

Recommended Extensions for Foam
-wraith808 (June 25, 2020, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aha!
I see it now. Obsidian sits over md files, this sits over VS Code and its extensions. Clever.
Apart from the allusion,  I'm unsure what the name is saying. "Sitting above the dirty Tiber"?

Assuming it's functional enough,  I can see it being popular with all the VS Code and Git users, and those who dislike Obsidian being closed source.

But possibly overkill in its requirements for those who aren't.
-Dormouse (June 26, 2020, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Both?  Why not both?

Personally, I use both Obsidian and VS code with the extensions.  It just depends on what I'm doing at the time.  There's also the fact that all of those extensions are in alpha.  Obsidian is just more polished.

Dormouse:
Both?  Why not both?

Personally, I use both Obsidian and VS code with the extensions.
-wraith808 (June 26, 2020, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
No reason not both, except that those who don't use VS Code or Git are unlikely to add them just to run Foam, unless they have a strong motivation.  I think that will limit its pool of potential users.

It will be interesting to see if they have a solution to the much desired block link feature in Roam. That's a pool of users (want block links and outliner design, unwilling to pay anything like $15pm) that doesn't have a good fit at the moment. Not that I have tried all the burgeoning options.

My view is that Roam is in it long-term because its raised the money and has the hype. Also Obsidian because it has experienced developers and a different core user pool. I can see Foam making it too, because its user pool can be differentiated and is likely to be firmly supportive if it works well enough. And there's space for a cheaper Roam; preferably local database with cloud sync. Everything depending on successful implementation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version