ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (102/244) > >>

superboyac:
I've been very hesitant to commit to zettel because i first want to know the tools I'm going to use.  I think this will work for now.
-superboyac (June 22, 2020, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Before committing too hard to zettel, it's worth thinking about Andy Matuschak's evergreen notes.
I'm not following either really. I think they have a strong appeal to those who are attracted to a rigid system. I do subscribe to atomicity, though I think there are a variety of ways to achieve it, and I do believe it is important both to think and to record the results of the thinking. And I use a whole variety of links. The problem with thinking is that it takes the time it takes, and insights, leaps and eurekas are only possible when your mind is open rather than on a trail or on a schedule.
-Dormouse (June 22, 2020, 07:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK you got me thinking outside the box...
Well...if that's the case, I don't really care about that ID number.  I think it makes the filenames look ugly, and its complicating matters for me, and I don't see how useful they are when i can find this very quickly using universal search as you type stuff.  I have so many text file searching tools.  I can find anything anytime.

But the "atomicity" idea is the important one i think.  Zettel and this green guy both are centered around it, and it's something I really haven't done in my notes.  I think that is where to focus on.

I like the yaml headers.

I like qownnotes if I don't have to get locked into a zettel system.

Dormouse:
https://notes.andymatuschak.org/
(very cool site design btw)
but i don't get what evergreen notes are. 
-superboyac (June 23, 2020, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
These are his notes,  so many of them are evergreen.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. All it really means is that they are notes that have a long-term value rather than temporary notes. Which notes ticks that box is up to you.
He developed his system after playing with zettelkasten ideas.
But you want your own system. Some of his ideas are interesting and useful,  but I believe it's always a mistake to follow any of these systems rigidly without fitting their ideas into what suits you.

superboyac:
https://notes.andymatuschak.org/
(very cool site design btw)
but i don't get what evergreen notes are.
-superboyac (June 23, 2020, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
These are his notes,  so many of them are evergreen.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. All it really means is that they are notes that have a long-term value rather than temporary notes. Which notes ticks that box is up to you.
He developed his system after playing with zettelkasten ideas.
But you want your own system. Some of his ideas are interesting and useful,  but I believe it's always a mistake to follow any of these systems rigidly without fitting their ideas into what suits you.
-Dormouse (June 23, 2020, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm starting to agree with you.

So far, the features I think are important to me are: atomicity and inbox-to-final.  I already have good note taking discipline, so what's missing are these two ideas.  THe inbox thing i like because i currently have no way of organizing.  WHen it comes to creating a final product, I waste a lot of time recreating and finding everything and spend a lot of time re-thinking things over again that i've already solved.

software update:
I'm back to liking zettlr again.  I like the display and writing comfort.
The yaml header is key.
I'll not be including any ID's in filenames.  Only in the yaml header.
Sublime is good, but it will take some time to make it look and feel perfect.  This will be a project.

superboyac:
ugh...more software issues.

Is it a problem if I DON'T put my tags in the yaml header?
The reason why is because Zettlr's nifty tag features don't work if the tag is in the yaml.  It works fine if it's outside the yaml.

Dormouse:
Is it a problem if I DON'T put my tags in the yaml header?
-superboyac (June 23, 2020, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why would it be?
Obsidian doesn't recognise YAML at all. Might be added at some point, but it's not a universal feature.
Does feel neater to have them hidden though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version