ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (84/244) > >>

panzer:
/tap - massively powerful and totally customizable note-taking system:
https://www.tatatap.com/

Dormouse:
Now that Roam has opened its gates again I'll have a chance to play with it. I do still like Obsidian, but I've been increasingly wondering whether these two are complementary rather than competitors.
Hard for me to test out since neither have Android apps.
But I definitely have a front end problem as far as getting notes into Obsidian is concerned. And much of what I've seen works best with notes that are more reflective.
I don't know about Roam. I note that it's another one with a kanban option. I'd have to be very focused to test it thoroughly in less than 14 days.

Dormouse:
But I definitely have a front end problem as far as getting notes into Obsidian is concerned.-Dormouse (June 09, 2020, 08:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm still playing around with it. Cola Notes is the current focus. Still have to check the compatibility of its markdown. And work out the route into Obsidian. I can sync with a sync app. Or sync within the app - but is safe to allow a Chinese app access to any of my cloud drives? At least it has a widget and development momentum.

Hard to compare Roam with Obsidian when neither have an Android app yet. My money is on Obsidian having one first - like many fashionable cross-platform programs,  Roam seems tilted towards Apple. But Obsidian is developed by the Dynalist people; Quick Dynalist and Dynawrite exist because the native Dynalist app is none too fast for inputting new notes. So I do need to find a good front end system - I can't rely on Obsidian developing one.

wraith808:
I quickly abandoned Obsidian. There are just a few idiosyncracies I couldn't get past- the most critical being that it doesn't actually use Markdown, just a syntax which is similar to Markdown.

Dormouse:
There are just a few idiosyncracies I couldn't get past- the most critical being that it doesn't actually use Markdown, just a syntax which is similar to Markdown-wraith808 (June 10, 2020, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hate markdown.
Far too much incompatibility between apps; far too many variations.
It's a babel not a language.
And still many things it doesn't do.

Far too many bits of HTML added to supplement the last. But the choices are often idiosyncratic.

I  like your certainty that there is only one true markdown but I'm not a believer at all.

Like the early days of PCs when there were thousands of models all claiming to be IBM compatible and reviewers had to rate how compatible they were. And we'd probably still be there if Microsoft hadn't 'saved' the day by making MS DOS the standard.

Obsidian does use the wiki [[ but equally accepts the md [](). This feels like a developing standard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version