ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (75/244) > >>

wraith808:
Is there a way to do global search in a HackMD book? The top left search bar on the demo page only seems to let us search the outline.
-Nod5 (May 28, 2020, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

No... that search box is only for the toc.

Dormouse:
I downloaded VSCode as it seems very popular and was supposed to be good for beginners. I'm obviously at sub beginner level. Though I did notice a WYSIWYG plugin for markdown.
I then downloaded Editpad Pro as it has been described as more intuitive and advertises itself as good for all writers and not just programmers. I'm pretty sure I can learn my way around it easily enough; seems to have a traditional MSOffice style of interface.

I'm not confident I can get it set up for full editing though. So plan B is basically to write in txt, import into rtf WP for editing and then finalise and save the document in markdown.

Maybe I will find a WYSIWYG markdown editor that will work. Typora seems the most likely at this stage. I'm sure one will come along at some point. Maybe i can set up Editpad or VSCode to do what I want.

Dormouse:
The reason I've been focusing on text editors,  despite the absence of an obvious fit for many of my needs, is that I see them as workers' tools. Tweaked and polished over many years for people who need to use them for production. One consequence of my system switch is the need to manage and work with many small text files, as well as a small number of very large ones. And that, I hope,  is what they can do.
Revisits many suggestions from earlier in the thread.

All the snazzy tools that seem better targeted at some of my needs, and which I will be checking out, are new. There will be glitches and rough edges and they may never get far enough to rub them down.

I recognise a huge difference between workers' tools and players' tools. And there's not many of the former for writers. WriteMonkey, Writers Cafe (now defunct) and yWriter. All work well and reliably if they're a good fit for what you want, though that's a small percentage of potential users. Possibly I'd add The Journal to this list. Three of them written by writers (I think it's OK to include The Journal in this) for their own use and the other by the writer's husband.
But not Scrivener. I think it's robust and I can see that it might support a number of efficient workflows, but I've not found any yet myself.

Dormouse:
Okay

Typora works as you type,  but that's it. Gives the impression it won't do color,  but will. Not usable with mouse,  so I  can't use it for editing. And isn't on Android.

I've given up on plan A.

Plan B. Write text, Edit in one of a variety of rich test options, Save as text, Export to publish. Markdown not excluded but not definitely included either. I already know this works and workflow functions.

Plan C. Use Notion. It will import. I can colour edit on screen including on Android. Will export as Markdown. Though apparently it may need cleaning up. And colour is the only editing tool it has. Can probably find a way to make it work. Big advantage is that it works on Android.

Plan D. Or maybe anyway. Writage. Writes Markdown and takes it into docx. Forces me to docx rather than rtf. Whatever - I'll go with the lingua franca. Convoluted workflow. But might act as lubricant in a workflow that's getting stuck. I've not tested this one yet.

Notes and other stuff I'm happy to write in Markdown. Main issue would be robust file management. Notion could be tempting if I was already using it, but it's another database. And unnecessary.

I noticed all the glitching and rough edges in these newer approaches.

panzer:
Roam Research - a note-taking tool for networked thought:
https://roamresearch.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxOffM_tVHI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version