ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (73/244) > >>

panzer:
MDyna is a markdown notes application that syncs with Github gists, and much more:
https://mdyna.dev

Nod5:
I have no problem with markdown for notes because it's not a distraction. But I do when I'm working on prose and I need to focus on the relationship between the content and language and how it flows and progresses.
-Dormouse (May 28, 2020, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, different formats fit for different use cases I suppose. Though for fiction prose writing maybe special formatting, beyond perhaps italics, would be infrequent enough to not distract much even in raw Markdown mode? Could also help: Many code editors let you tweak and toogle between different themes and highlight schemes. So one could use one where the format pops at times and one more discreet at other times. VS Code and other editors also have a quick toggle for zen mode (minimal mode, distraction free mode, ...) that hides most toolbars and buttons. Example:

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

Dormouse:
Some forums and other social media already use Markdown (see *Diaspora and Discourse)-wraith808 (May 28, 2020, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
If Markdown takes over the world,  I assume that all forums will switch to it.
Of course, it would have to be markdown with BBCode extensions.

Nod5:
I didn't see offhand where codimd supports book mode, which is my major use of hackmd.  And some other features, like workspaces.  And that's just from a cursory look.
Longer explanation at https://github.com/codimd/server/blob/407c53b9d9c463782c130c1f804d0f5af1fc2539/docs/history.md
-wraith808 (May 28, 2020, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
The history link helped. Seems CodiMD is not for me either, right now at least, since I don't want to manage a server for notes.

I like the look of HackMD book mode, though might not fit my personal use. But seems very well thought out for many use cases, especially collaborative writing. Is there a way to do global search in a HackMD book? The top left search bar on the demo page only seems to let us search the outline.

Never heard of transclusion before
-wraith808
--- End quote ---

I guess the terms include, transclude, import and embed are used for roughly the same thing a lot of times. I've mostly seen 'transclude' used for combining non-software plaintext files into a larger whole for e.g. documentation. So maybe the idea with the term there is to contrast that use to including/importing source code in a software project, but I'm not sure.

The HackMD embed feature GIF nicely illustrates what I called raw view and preview modes

Unfortunately no third transclude view.

Not surprising though since no other markdown app I've looked at had that either. I searched some more on transcluding markdown today but still no luck. These two links were interesting nonetheless
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4779582/markdown-and-including-multiple-files
https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/b0ywcw/free_markdown_editors_with_live_preview_for/

I bet new transclude features will emerge sooner or later, given all these markdown apps and systems competing for users. Big question: Will the giants Google and Microsoft make room for easy markdown use on their platforms too? Imagine the google docs platform but with interlinking, transcluding markdown files.

Dormouse:
Could also help: Many code editors let you tweak and toogle between different themes and highlight schemes. So one could use one where the format pops at times and one more discreet at other times. VS Code and other editors also have a quick toggle for zen mode (minimal mode, distraction free mode, ...) that hides most toolbars and buttons.
-Nod5 (May 28, 2020, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. I'm already looking to check out text editors. From this thread, I have  Vim, neovim - with warning of steep learning curve, VSCode, Notepad++, and iirc UltraEdit and EditPad from another thread. I will search for other contenders.

I know that I won't cope with a steep learning curve unless I  can extend the time can work on a PC. And I have no experience of text editors,  though I think I did have Crimson in the past. Which leaves me wanting one thats intuitive and easy to learn and where I can switch off or ignore all functions that relate only to programming or programming languages. I remember Superboyac writing that EditPad was more intuitive than UltraEdit.

I don't actually need what most people consider distraction free, it makes no difference to me at all. But intrusions in the actual text are another thing completely.

Fiction,  fact, academic,  report are all the same to me. I need to work with the pure prose. Equations, graphs, tables, diagrams, images etc can all be separate - I'm used to journals that require them as separate pages.

Notes, journalese and web (if I did it, and I don't rule the possibility out) can include as much formatting as Markdown wants to throw at it without it impacting me at all. Attempted perfection never competes with speed for them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version