ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (64/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I've decided that Markdown is a very bad thing for people like me
-Dormouse (May 26, 2020, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
Mostly.

As presently incarnated.
-Dormouse (May 26, 2020, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I do realise that I need to explain my thinking - and it has taken quite a lot of thought as well as trying it out in many different apps - rather than just making a singularly bald statement. I considered giving it a thread on its own,  but the issues are part of the fabric of this thread and so it is probably best here.

I'll have to do it bit by bit though.  I'm too hungover with hay-fever to maintain any coherence in a single post.

Dormouse:
I'll start with the major genuine advantage for markdown and plaintext generally,  and which often receives little emphasis: it is a relatively light user of computer resources. Memory,  bandwidth, processing power and programming. The shift online has given it a huge advantage.

Dormouse:
As far as I can determine,  the major user community pre-evangelism was made up of web writers and programmers (and others used to working in text editors). Possibly still is.
This, I believe, explains how it has been developed. And some of the assumptions of the community.

panzer:
Zettelkasten + LaTeX + VS Code = Productivity++ ?:
https://levelup.gitconnected.com/zettelkasten-latex-vs-code-productivity-a7deb650608e

Dormouse:
The principal competition is a class of software originally developed so that secretaries could use computers to type and format letters,  documents and envelopes. Originally huge single purpose minicomputers. Probably the major usage that drove the expansion of the PC market. Then, with Windows, leveraged by Microsoft in its quest for dominance, it soon squeezed out desktop publishing. Being competitive required compatibility with Word formats and being feature rich.

The emphasis on formatting naturally produced complex document formats.
WYSIWYG was much-loved but not so easy to achieve. Home users loved it, using mice and GUIs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version