ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (57/244) > >>

Dormouse:

So I have read Rizvi's post and I am familiar with PARA...  I had some comments- Which might be misplaced because I have not followed this thread entirely.   This person strikes me as someone who is also on a search for the perfect way to organize their notes and learn.  I can respect that.  -sphere (May 11, 2020, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
I agree. I interpret his problem as arising from a misperception of zettelkasten. I wasn't surprised at the misperception because it seems to reflect common beliefs.

He suggests he has a problem with remembering books even immediately after reading. Maybe PARA will help. I know little about it apart from a dislike of the way it was being sold.

Personally,  I think overloading with facts is a misconceived target for many - in general those who are good at do it with little effort, and facts can usually be obtained with little effort. Ideas are different because, by definition, they fit with the way you think.

My guess would be that if Rizvi had reflected on Luhmann averaging 8 notes for a working day and that his whole working life was based on similar material then he wouldn't have seen it as a good fit for him in the first place.

Dormouse:
As I mentioned, I used something similar to zettlkasten.
-sphere (May 11, 2020, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
It certainly sounds like a very similar process.

Dormouse:
There is an older program called Writers's Blocks
--- End quote ---
That's an interesting one.  I know I've heard of it but had never probed further.  I'm not sure I'd look much further than $149.99 with $119 to upgrade. Google Keep can be used in a very similar way (feeding into Docs) and is free and works on all devices. And Scrivener 3 offers more functionality at a much lower.

I like corkboard functions. It's what first attracted me to Scrivener. But they're not enough on their own.

Probably good I didn't see it years ago or I might have dropped the $150 on it, though it may have been even more expensive then.

Dormouse:
Another program that comes to mind is AZZcardfile https://www.azzcardfile.com/ 
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure about the index card analogy. It looks just like an outliner. Am I wrong?

Certainly outliners were my main tool for actually writing for a long time.

Dormouse:
I sometimes want to capture concepts in my notes.  Which can be as many as 4 paragraphs to explain:)
--- End quote ---
Luhmann would just say you should split them into separate thoughts. But really that's simply to aid the flexibility and specificity of links - if you don't need that there's no point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version