ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (52/244) > >>

Dormouse:
Next stage was working out how to do the planning, maintain support files etc. Needs to be cross-platform. Decided on Trello (then discovered other writers use it and have documented their systems); reasonable substitute for the Scrivener cards, which is helpful for me as a visually oriented person. Primary export is JSON or print, neither of which are wonderful (with CSV if you are paying for business class), so I'll pay attention to keeping a lot of information in files linking into Trello. Which happily brings me back to a zettelkasten.  :)

I'll still use the myriad of other programs - Excel/Sheets, OneNote, Squid etc but they will all link in or save data to files regularly.

Very pleasing that the underlying system is unaffected.

Dormouse:
Which takes me further. Didn't take me long to think of other uses of Trello once I'd freed myself from thinking of it as for activity management to knowledge and activity management. As others have done. There is at least one detailed review of it for zettelkasten.
I realised that it has two advantages over individual documents for a zettelkasten -

* going through the card sets is much quicker and more natural and a better analogue of the card box
* input is easier They would make a difference. Reduced security because they're online. And effort required to ensure that all the data is safe - possible with regular exports; hopefully. Would have to be tested.
Tagging would have to be as hoc - but same system as for documents.

Not sure if it goes against the whole thrust of the thread. Does a little, but I always accepted the use of database systems for active functionality. Cross platform is maintained. And the document system would still be there. Millions of users so some sort of export always likely anyway. But could be costly; no guarantee that current no/low prices for individuals will always be maintained. I don't know if I'll change anything yet. Will see how other uses go. Hmm.

Dormouse:
And I have resigned myself to learning markdown.
Even Trello uses it.
The Pure Writer developer explained that he wouldn't offer an rtf option because coding was more complex.
Many (most?) Android programs appear to offer md options but not rtf, doc or other equivalents.
And I like WriteMonkey on the PC.

Dormouse:
And the Share function on Android works a lot faster than trying to do the same thing on the PC. For me at least. I assume most here just use ahk etc.

wraith808:
And I like WriteMonkey on the PC.
-Dormouse (April 08, 2020, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

What does that have to do with it?  Just curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version