ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (29/244) > >>

Dormouse:
WriteMonkey is the same (though documents can be bound to a file).
-Dormouse (November 10, 2019, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is?  I've never used it that way.  I always work on local files.  This is the first that I've heard of that.-wraith808 (November 10, 2019, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
The database is local. But a database nevertheless. I don't know if WM2 is the same.
Your documents are stored in database file in the default local application data directory.

Windows: c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Writemonkey 3\writemonkey3_sheets
OSX: /Users/[user]/Library/Application Support/Writemonkey 3/writemonkey3_sheets
Linux: /var/local/Writemonkey 3/writemonkey3_sheets
Use Open Folder with Database file from Command palette to open folder containing database files.
--- End quote ---
Working with text files
Writemonkey 3.0.10 (August 2019) has basic support for text files. Documents stored in database can additionally also be stored as regular text files.

Bind existing document to a text file
Right click existing document name in document pane and select Save as file & bind to document from a context menu. You'll be presented with a regular Save As dialog, where you can choose a target directory and a file name. (WM will suggest the file name based on current document name, but you can change it to anything you want.)
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Like I said, I've never used it that way, even on WM2.  So there must be an option to open local files.

Dormouse:
there must be an option to open local files-wraith808 (November 10, 2019, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
It will open (and save) files. Most opening methods bind the files, but some don't.

wraith808:
there must be an option to open local files-wraith808 (November 10, 2019, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
It will open (and save) files. Most opening methods bind the files, but some don't.
-Dormouse (November 11, 2019, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

And I guess that was my point.  It's an option, not a requirement.

Dormouse:
--- End quote ---
-Dormouse (November 11, 2019, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
And I guess that was my point.  It's an option, not a requirement.
-wraith808 (November 11, 2019, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I may have to recant. I can't actually find a way to open a file without it being bound into the database.
You can unbind the file - but that simply discards the link.
You can always edit the bound file with another program - but Writemonkey will give you an alert dialog when you try to open it again.

Text files can also be dragged into repository. New item with file's text is created but there is no link between the file and repository item.
--- End quote ---
I tried this and it was just a text copy in the repository.

So, afaics, Writemonkey works only on what is in its database. Open and save a file might look like a local file operation, but it isn't: it's importing to the database, binding the file and then saving the bound copy from the database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version