ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (23/244) > >>

superboyac:
ok dormouse, i still kind of want to copy your system as my first attempt....this is what i've gathered:
sources
resources
actual zettl
writing
temp
annotated

these are the folders you have mentioned. 
i get the zettl folder is where the actual real notes go, and its just one. 
writing, i think i understand as where you put things together outside of the "one thought, one note" concept.
temp, this is where you put notes before they are processed with all the proper links and maybe even the kind of writing in your own words that you are supposed to do with zettl.
annoted, not sure....this is where you place notes from the temp folder, kind of a staging area, where you add the links right before moving to the zettl?

cool stuff. thanks.
btw, what kind of file naming scheme do you use?

Dormouse:
ok dormouse, i still kind of want to copy your system as my first attempt....this is what i've gathered:
sources
resources
actual zettl
writing
temp
annotated-superboyac (November 03, 2019, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's right.

* Sources & resources are linked but not part. Exactly the same system Luhmann used.
* Temp and annotated are just staging areas that help me keep my place. I'd expect them to be unnecessary in many programs which would have their own method of tracking.
* Writing is where I will put longer pieces or those nearer completion. Again it's a convenience. I may have things to do with these MSS that will be totally external to the zettel. Luhmann must have done something very similar because his MSS were outside the zettel and his unfinished books wre found around his study when he died.

temp, this is where you put notes before they are processed with all the proper links and maybe even the kind of writing in your own words that you are supposed to do with zettl.
annoted, not sure....this is where you place notes from the temp folder, kind of a staging area, where you add the links right before moving to the zettl?-superboyac (November 03, 2019, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

My embryo process is:-

* read and highlight/copy, making fleeting notes. I try to make these one idea; I could use the same highlight twice if I see two ideas. They go into temp folder.
* I go through those making my permanent first stage notes. Once I have done that they go into the Annotated folder. (For the moment, I have the excerpt from the source at the bottom, the fleeting note next up, and then the permanent note at the top). They then need tagging and naming.
* When I have completed that stage for the group, I make second stage notes. This is the stage that takes the most thought, distilling the essence from all I have read. One idea, one thought. Many first stage notes can go together to make one of these, or a first stage thought make be linked to many. I might do a Structure Note. I then put these into a parent-child sequence and add all the links. And move the Annotated notes and these notes into the main Notes folder.
The process is definitely shaped by the fact I'm using document files rather than some other method.

btw, what kind of file naming scheme do you use?-superboyac (November 03, 2019, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unique identifier (YYYYMMDDhhmmss) + Anything that will make some sort of sense - something about the note, not its links + tags []

superboyac:
THanks!   :Thmbsup:
That definitely gets me going.

superboyac:
I am having a hard time understanding what this means (from Zettlr documentation):
The ID RegEx
Zettlr uses regular expressions internally to filter out the ID of a file. It looks for that pattern, and if it finds a string that matches this pattern, it assumes that as the ID of the file. Please note that the first match in a file will be assumed the ID, never the last! This means: If you choose to use only four digits as your ID, the regular expression would also match years inside your file. As Zettlr simply takes the first ID, make sure that the very first thing in your file is the ID of that file.
--- End quote ---

This makes it sound like for every note or file i have, the first line of each note should be the 14-digit ID.  But, in all the screenshots of the program, i don't see any note like this.  furthermore, most of the notes in the screenshots have titles without the ID in them, like just plain titles.  A little confused.

Dormouse:
Does it mean that it uses the ID to find the file, but doesn't display it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version