ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (12/244) > >>

IainB:
Some comments here (above) seem to be redolent of comments along the same lines at two excellent reference links:

* Outliner Software forum: where there's a long history of useful discussion on all Notetaking and PIM-related methods, workflows, software/apps. Still in search of the Holy Grail of PIMs though.

* Taking Note blog: has very useful thoughts on Notetaking methods/philosophies in general and Notetaking software/apps. Strongly favours the Connected Text PIM, but I gather CT may no longer be being developed/maintained (its future seems uncertain/obscure). Seem to have been no posts since December 2018, though comments from readers have been added since then.

superboyac:

This sounds like the problem of hoarding, only with digital/text things.  I struggle with this also, and i see the value in being able to break away from it.  -superboyac (October 29, 2019, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
i am interested in NOT being a knowledge hoarder.  I want to be a practical, productive individual.-superboyac (October 29, 2019, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd rather have actual growth in knowledge in myself than be comforted by all the notes i physically have.  hmmm.....
-superboyac (October 29, 2019, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think that some of the key zettel principles for this are:-

* That you have a single integrated workflow, that you become expert in using
* That notes have to sustain repeated iterative processing, potentially with new notes for new thoughts. If information/thoughts/notes aren't worth this degree of processing, then they don't deserve to be in the zettel.
* The processing should produce growth in your understanding, but will also duplicate that understanding in the zettel
* Which means that you can go away from that part of the zettel for ten years and still pick up from where you left off, long after you will have forgotten most of the detail of what you had learned
The problem I see in what you are suggesting is that you will be following multiple workflows.
I can't see why you couldn't use ConnectedText, OneNote or The Journal for all your writing and a zettel

-Dormouse (October 29, 2019, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
thanks for this, this is very thought provoking for me, and helpful.
this is all very interesting to me, not so much from the which-tool?  standpoint, and more so about the benefits of the methodology.
after 20+ years of using notetaking software, one thing i am absolutely certain of is that i am not doing it in a good way as far as productivity.  and what the zettel talks about, like the progression of an idea, and being able to continue where you left off, etc...this is all very much what i want.

now, onenote has the bracket feature, and the other features necessary to do it, but overall, i dont think it is very conducive to it.  more of a GUI thing than anything else.

Connectedtext...not happy to hear about development ending.  But it seems more purpose built for this sort of thing.

Journal, it may do it, but I would not use the journal for notetaking.  i like it for writing big projects like screenplays or books.

INFOQUBE!  hey Pierre.  I just read that you implemented brackets in yoru software.  I should give this another try as well.  the thing with IQ is that it is VERY structured.  But maybe that is perfect for this sort of thing.  I'd imagine most software would not have the linking capabilities IQ has.

superboyac:
ok...i think i know a critical feature that would help me choose a software.

versioning...
which software provides the best versioning history?
if this method requires me revisiting notes, and rewriting parts, I am going to want to know what i am redoing and rewriting, so good versioning and easy to use/see would be important to me.  I think connectedtext has it, but maybe the others do not.

superboyac:
nice article that concludes Infoqube is the best.  Nice Pierre, well deserved!
https://pauljmiller.wordpress.com/tag/connectedtext/
Conclusions
As far as a comfortable writing environment goes InfoQube gets my vote.
--- End quote ---

Dormouse:
if this method requires me revisiting notes, and rewriting parts-superboyac (October 29, 2019, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think it requires rewriting notes. A revision would be the result of a new thought. A new thought requires a new note.
Additions to notes, yes, - especially in the way of new links.

Better than versioning really because you have a history of why you have changed your idea.

Of course, I might be wrong about this. But, for me, that's the logic derived from the principles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version