ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (2/242) > >>

wraith808:
I'm in the plain text group.  It allows me to work between platforms, which I like.  I just use texthaven, which is a note program that works on the file system with whatever plain text format you throw at it.  I have different root folders for those things that I want to sync online vs the things that I don't want to sync online.

The only feature that I wish that it had was tags or some sort of tagging system, but I can do without, and a sync to Simplenote.  I formerly used ResophNotes to sync to simplenote, so that I could keep my online folder synced with simplenote to be able to get it from the browser.

superboyac:
I have Rightnote. Lifetime licence.
I think I had AM-Notebook at one time.

The problem with both is that the stuff is in the programs, they're Windows only and not accessible from elsewhere. I appreciate the advantage of database based programs, which is why I have stuck with them and tired and bought so many. And I don't discount using them. But I'm considering having them only for an active use rather than stuff in general.

With files, I can use virtually any program to create them, and to modify them; I can use them on all devices, access them from the internet and never have to worry about import or export. Feels as if it is worth an experiment. Not that I would export everything immediately and do a switch. I'd just start using a new system and take stuff from older programs as I needed to work with it.

I'd have to say, just looking at the features, that AM-Notebook has come a long way since I last looked at it.
-Dormouse (October 23, 2019, 04:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
i see.  yes with the access requirement you are going to have a hard time finding something.  I'll be interested in what you come up with.
if rightnote added a web access syncing feature (like mylifeorganized), then it would be perfect, as their exporting features are excellent.

One other thought I had, triggered by some zettelkasten reading, was the possibility of being more productive if I was working with fewer programs and more simply focused on files and links. Working on files, it's easy to switch to a different program for a particular feature (and back again) without disruption. Trying to do that with database programs is definitely not like that. It leads to doing one set of things in one program and another in another etc. And there's permanent feature dissatisfaction.

I don't know. I always regarded it as an odd and obviously inefficient approach. But now I'm not quite so sure.
-Dormouse (October 23, 2019, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
i go through this thought process also.  i don't think it would be very inefficient.  It wouldn't be as streamlined as something all in one, but so what?  i think it is worth trying out.

i don't think efficiency is tied to # of programs.  what is a program?  something on the screen with buttons.  you can just pretend the entire screen is one program with different windows and areas.  lol. 

this is what ive come up with so far:
you have all your document files.  word, emails, databases., etc.
you have an indexer
you can search anything with the indexer.

linking and stuff?  probably not.  not in any kind of way that works across all the files.  you can probably have http links or file:/// links max.

to me, the key ingredient would be the indexer.  i have archivarius, which is great, but one thing is terrible....the text results are plain text, no pictures, and no formatting, it would be ideal if it could show the actual document the way it is.
other indexers are not as good as archivarius and i haven't tried in a long time.  some of those copernic, desktop search, x2, were ok, but slow and klunky.

Dormouse:
i have archivarius, which is great, but one thing is terrible....the text results are plain text, no pictures, and no formatting, it would be ideal if it could show the actual document the way it is.
other indexers are not as good as archivarius and i haven't tried in a long time.  some of those copernic, desktop search, x2, were ok, but slow and klunky.-superboyac (October 23, 2019, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have Archivarius too.
I'm not  convinced it is really great. Slows computer. Indices grow too big. I also haven't used it in a long time, although I updated a few years ago and tried it once. I'm hoping that text based files can be searched fast without an index with a grep type program. Haven't tried it yet though.

There's a number of ways of doing linking. Folders are traditional, but require thought and effort at the beginning; and they're rigid. Tagging programs would work, but that's back to a database again and not working on all platforms.  Tags inserted into file text would work, and search programs like Powergrep will do that as a batch process. Saved searches could also work as a quick link. There can also be direct links where linked files are listed as part of a file or as a separate text file that contains a list of the linked files. I agree that this is potentially the most problematic area, but this may not be important if I don't go zettelkasten.

rgdot:
I have done something for a while and I think app mentioned it here recently too. Obviously not exactly what you are looking for but comes closer than you might think. A local WordPress installation.

Dormouse:
I have done something for a while and I think app mentioned it here recently too. Obviously not exactly what you are looking for but comes closer than you might think. A local WordPress installation.-rgdot (October 23, 2019, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did that once. Has its plus points.

The main idea is being independent of any particular software and therefore having a system that is fairly immune to software change/collapse, so Wordpress doesn't do that. I need it on the web too as I want to be able to access most info from anywhere. I think I'll keep Wordpress for websites.

Had to rescue information from a borked (hacked) installation once too. Doable, but wasn't quick to put it back together again.

I remain not even slightly persuaded of the need to go full Markdown though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version