ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (174/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I'm still using TreeDBNotes
-BGM (December 04, 2020, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
TreeDBNotes is very different to all of these, so you'd probably need to have decided to move on. And if that's your starting point, you'll know what you want to keep and what you'd like to add.

Dormouse:
I prefer using Zettlr to write my content,
-superboyac (December 04, 2020, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm often not very fussed about what I actually write in. Sometimes my choice will depend on a feature I want for that particular use.
For instance folding (which I use a lot):
Typora doesn't seem to have it;
Zettlr is better (headings);
Obsidian is better still (headings and outlines)
and WriteMonkey is best (no obvious limitation).
I admit I might have missed a use somewhere above - I've not tested in detail, just what I've found in use.

Dormouse:
One huge issue for me, having many files, is the whole file explorer set up. None of these programs are great. Obsidian possibly best because it has the greatest variety of ways of finding files (folder, search, tags, regex, graph), but convenience in everyday use is important.

Another issue is how well the editor/program integrates into a system where there are many types of files. Again I don't think any of them are great for doing this.

Nod5:
Another issue is how well the editor/program integrates into a system where there are many types of files. Again I don't think any of them are great for doing this.
-Dormouse (December 04, 2020, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, there is a lot of friction to overcome there. I have an AutoHotkey script setup: I put no-markup filepaths or filenames in the plaintext notes. Later I select a whole or part of such a string (or put the cursor inside it) and press a hotkey. The script detects if there is a unique file anywhere matching the string pattern and takes action depending on filetype. E.g. open PDF in pdf viewer, open source code file in VS Code and so on. If multiple files match action alternatives are shown. If no file is matched alternatives to open up a file search in Everything or do a Google search are shown. Since this works on any text selection anywhere I can use the same approach across different apps, local or web based. For example I use it also in notes written in Google Docs, in effect links from Docs to the local filesystem. I considered making it a NANY tool this year but the thing is still evolving and is very tied to my own note taking setup and how I tend to use the target files, so difficult to make into a more general application yet. But I think this kind of customizable inbetween tool is the best option, since it is unlikely that any specific note taking app will also be a best fit for how you want to deal with various other types of files.

Dormouse:
I prefer Obsidian to navigate my content
-superboyac (December 04, 2020, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which features of Obsidian do you use when navigating?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version