ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (16/244) > >>

superboyac:

but then, i found this:
https://forum.zettelkasten.de/discussion/226/renes-sublimeless-zettelkasten
now this seems cool!!
this is similar to what the mac software "The Archive" which people consider a brilliant zettel software.  so i'm trying this open source windows version and it's FANTASTIC!  so i'll be trying this out for a while.  it's beautiful looking, it is true zettel and files are all text files, and it's fast, and its free and open source, so we can modify it!
-kfitting (October 30, 2019, 04:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have not gone fully down the zettkasten rabbit hole, but I do find myself circling around to it often. I have seen a number of people compare this to https://www.zettlr.com/
As I understand it it uses a graph database, where each item is a container- so rather than emulating a "card" for each thought/note/idea,  it is a container... which makes it more friendly for storing other types of media.  It is opensource with Windows, Mac and Linux versions.

Similar programs I have been intending to look at are https://mindforger.sourceforge.io/ (I believe windows and Linux- though originally just Linux) and also https://github.com/zadam/trilium which is windows.

I personally really like it when there is a way to easily link to email. I can generate an email link, but would rather it was done automatically.

-sphere (October 30, 2019, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
these are great suggestions.  i am going to try that first one and then the others perhaps.  looks fantastic.

dormouse, thanks for the tips.  it will take me some time to get used to.  ill check out that book, i believe it was the one you guys were referring to earlier in the thread.

Nod5:
I stopped using tagspaces.  Many times I have a blank screen; there's something in their electron application that fails at times- at least for me.  I even reinstalled and the problem was there.  I rebooted, tried again, and it worked for a bit, but stopped again after a short time.  I lost a lot of the work I'd done organizing with it when I had to switch, so that was a bummer.  Just something to watch out for.
-wraith808 (October 30, 2019, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Good reminder also that a kind of system lock-in can happen even when all the data is plaintext and local.

The zettelkasten app alternatives superboyac mentioned

In my searches for windows software for zettel
[...] infoqube [...] connectedtext [...] sublime text editor [...] Sublimeless zettelkasten
-superboyac (October 30, 2019, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

also got me thinking... Question: Are there any attempts at standards specifically for (local, plaintext, spanning multiple files) notetaking? Something akin to https://commonmark.org/ for MarkDown but for zettelkasten note taking or some other note taking approach? With a standard users could start out with a Sublime editor plugin, later jump to a VS Code plugin and then on to some standalone tool. Teams working on notes together could use different software to read/write the same synced set of plaintext files.

(Picture in your mind the XKCD comic about standards. I don't need to link it, you all have it in memory  :P)

One thing a standard would settle is the identifier format. sublimeless_zk seem to use YYYMMDDhhmmss timestamps, which I like. But they have an issue tracker request for shorter format using other base systems for the identifier. Interesting idea!

A version of that would be to stick to YYYYMMDDhhmmss in plaintext but then have the decorator in the editor/plugin optionally display that as shortened via some above base-10 system. One could even go crazy short through some kind of "base-unicode" (is that a thing?) e.g. use all unicode characters (locked to some unicode version) as base. That way the first 100 000 or so identifiers would appear one character long.

Dormouse:
Well, if I had another client that would actually use that format, then I suppose nothing would have been.  But moving to something else that doesn't do the same...  Not vendor locked is not the same thing as usable in another platform.  There's also the matter of the time spent color coding the types of files/folders.-wraith808 (October 30, 2019, 10:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I get that.

I restricted myself to the filename approach because I could access them by file search on any platform. I'm trying to avoid dependence on any particular software. Haven't reached the tagging stage yet, so I'm free to change my mind. SetTags is the only other one I know that uses filenames, though I expected there would be others. Can't say I've taken to TagSpaces or SetTags. I did consider simply using Bulk Rename and manage the tags manually.

Dormouse:
One thing a standard would settle is the identifier format. sublimeless_zk seem to use YYYMMDDhhmmss timestamps, which I like. But they have an issue tracker request for shorter format using other base systems for the identifier. Interesting idea!-Nod5 (October 31, 2019, 04:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bulk Rename offered me a lot of options when adding date/time to the name. Wondered why for a second; I didn't explore them. Maybe I should have done, although I like understanding exactly what it means.

Dormouse:
ill check out that book, i believe it was the one you guys were referring to earlier in the thread.-superboyac (October 30, 2019, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hesitate to recommend it. The useful stuff is scattered throughout the book. Hard work to mine it.
Much of the rest consists of him cajoling and hectoring students to take better notes the way he thinks they should be done. Very oriented to writing academic essays and papers. And the prose style reflects it: more heavy than light.

The first use for my zettel system was highlighting the relevant sentences and paragraphs, commenting briefly and then developing new thoughts as I reviewed them. Maybe that was his idea. Give people what they need in a simple single chunk and they wouldn't need a zettel at all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version