ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (137/244) > >>

Dormouse:
the three level approach seems pretty straightforward: raw view, transclude view (resolve transcluded content, resolve UID strings as small icons, dots, color styling or some such) and preview view (fully resolved).
-Nod5 (August 14, 2020, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Remember, Obsidian is heading for a WYSIWYG,  Typora-like, editor. Raw will be an option, but preview will disappear.

Dormouse:
Bet: transclusion will prove so useful that Markdown syntax will be extended for it. Hopefully in a standardized way. NetCommonMark (Net as in networked notes) on the horizon?
-Nod5 (August 14, 2020, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not convinced. Too many blatantly obvious needs have never been addressed.
Obsidian is likely to be resistant to going far out on a limb, syntax-wise. Wikilinks are a growing standard in programs that use them, and Obsidian would probably go with a transclusion syntax if the other programs did too.

It's a fast moving space, I think there will be many more developments over the next few years.

Dormouse:
Obsidian can't export to markdown because it doesn't contain the notes in the first place. The files have an independent existence and can be edited using any program at any time.
-Dormouse (August 13, 2020, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't understand the point of that distinction. They don't need to be exported because they're *already* markdown, aren't they?

- Oshyan

-JavaJones (August 14, 2020, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the distinction is that there is no need to export.  With Roam, you're at their mercy if something happens to the service, which iss one of the reasons that I prefer to work on local plain text files.
-wraith808 (August 15, 2020, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes.
Roam's markdown is in a database.

The other point is that Obsidian takes no ownership of the files,  even when it's running and the vault is open. Many programs lock a file when it has been opened.

Dormouse:
there is nothing stopping a tool like Obsidian from having a "working database" or sidecar XML files or whatever it needs to support those raw text files to have extra features like block references and transclusions, etc
-JavaJones (August 14, 2020, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

It would change the way the program worked.
Either you add multiple UIDs to the files (which can be done manually now), which makes reading the raw view harder, or you'd have to put them in a database equivalent which managed that outside of the file. The minute you do that, that database is needed as well as the files. Current process is that the files are loaded when a vault is opened, and that's all that's needed.

I  imagine that someone may try to do what you suggest in a plugin when the API is published,  but I don't see the developers doing it. I'm not sure how such a database would deal with files being added to the folder when Obsidian is closed.

Dormouse:
There have been suggestions for Obsidian to support MMD, adding some desired functionality missing from GFM Commonmark. I'm not sure the developers would be keen to add yet another standard to comply with,  but they could just add the elements they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version