ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (6/244) > >>

Dormouse:

3. organize files at least roughly into (sub)folders based on topic, context or life domain. Put tags in foldernames.
-Nod5 (October 25, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not likely to do this. I want to keep folder structures as simple as possible.
Doing this would slow down the active work. I'm hoping that Searching will remove the need.
I would expect to use temporary project folders and will copy useful files into those. Then delete them once it's complete.

Dormouse:
4. when needed tag filenames/foldernames with timestamps (YYMMDD at minimum or YYYYMMDDhhmmss) to make them more unique.-Nod5 (October 25, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I intend to do this.

Dormouse:
The neat thing with unique filenames is that you can use them as "quasi hyperlinks" in plaintext. Like so: An AutoHotkey hotkey takes the current selection in the active VS Code window (or Notepad or any other plaintext editor/viewer you want), uses Everything under the hood to find the one unique matching full filepath, and then acts on it (open/run the file, open its folder in Explorer, ...). For example a file you name "food korean 191025.txt" will likely remain unique and so can be used as a short and quick quasi hyperlink.-Nod5 (October 25, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I assume this would actually work with rtf or even docx files too?

Dormouse:
You can speed up 1-4 with AutoHotkey, of course :)-Nod5 (October 25, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
okay, I accept the case for AHK is overwhelming  :(

Dormouse:
- VS Code or some other general purpose code editor.
For powerful plaintext viewing, editing and formatting. Also for writing Markdown with preview.
The interface is more complex than for some standalone Markdown editors. But on the plus side code editors are power tools for transforming and navigating plaintext in a lot of ways that tend to come in handy sooner or later.
https://code.visualstudio.com/

Like so: An AutoHotkey hotkey takes the current selection in the active VS Code window -Nod5 (October 25, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm afraid that I'm likely to resist using VS Code or any other code editor as much as I possibly can. The look and feel (and features) of the programs I write in is critical to creativity and productivity  (and I have to be able to set them up to avoid eye strain). I like Atlantis. I quite like Jarte. I like WriteMonkey 3 (although it has occasionally hogged resources).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version