ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (31/244) > >>

superboyac:
I find it interesting that plain text / markdown solutions like Zettlr keep the files in a database.
WriteMonkey is the same (though documents can be bound to a file).
When I look at WM3 it seems to have all the features required for a zettelkasten, but I've never seen it mentioned in that context. Though it's very rarely mentioned in lists of markdown editors either.

I'm noticing that different types of notes may have different and predictable structures. Vacillating between using templates and autotext insert.
-Dormouse (November 10, 2019, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
what do you mean by this?  zettlr keeps the files just regular text files in whatever folder you like.  you just open the file or folder.  it has a database maybe for the program itself, but the files are all text files.  the only thing the program seems to do is look for the ID somewhere in the filename or actual file itself.  Is that what you are thinking too?

Dormouse:
What do you mean a bound file?  It's a text file on disk.  How is that bound?-wraith808 (November 13, 2019, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Their terminology, not mine.
My interpretation is that it's simply synchronising the database copy with the file copy. Doesn't impact editing the file using other programs.

On the basis of your video, my guess is that both versions do this in similar ways, although the details of the implementation vary. But know nothing of V2 since I started with V3.

The advantage of the method is that you have two copies of the file - one in the database, one as the file. Each copy can be worked on separately, but will be synchronised when WriteMonkey is active unless you turn the linking off.

wraith808:
What do you mean a bound file?  It's a text file on disk.  How is that bound?-wraith808 (November 13, 2019, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

My interpretation is that it's simply synchronising the database copy with the file copy. Doesn't impact editing the file using other programs.

On the basis of your video, my guess is that both versions do this in similar ways, although the details of the implementation vary. But know nothing of V2 since I started with V3.

The advantage of the method is that you have two copies of the file - one in the database, one as the file. Each copy can be worked on separately, but will be synchronised when WriteMonkey is active unless you turn the linking off.
-Dormouse (November 13, 2019, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is not how it's working in WM2.  Check my post that I updated, i.e. from http://www.writemonkey.com/features.php

STANDARD AND CLEAN TEXT FORMAT
For maximum portability your work is stored in standard text files. Writemonkey is fully UTF-8 compatible and will recognize virtually all international characters. Supports other encoding standards ‒ Unicode, ANSII …

--- End quote ---

I really don't like this direction, personally.

I find it interesting that plain text / markdown solutions like Zettlr keep the files in a database.
WriteMonkey is the same (though documents can be bound to a file).
When I look at WM3 it seems to have all the features required for a zettelkasten, but I've never seen it mentioned in that context. Though it's very rarely mentioned in lists of markdown editors either.

I'm noticing that different types of notes may have different and predictable structures. Vacillating between using templates and autotext insert.
-Dormouse (November 10, 2019, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
what do you mean by this?  zettlr keeps the files just regular text files in whatever folder you like.  you just open the file or folder.  it has a database maybe for the program itself, but the files are all text files.  the only thing the program seems to do is look for the ID somewhere in the filename or actual file itself.  Is that what you are thinking too?
-superboyac (November 13, 2019, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think we're finally getting on the same page- a lot had to do with the fact that I'm using WM2.  WM3 actually *does* store its files in a database located in (on Windows) c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Writemonkey 3\writemonkey3_sheets.  It can sync with a local file, but it defaults to just storing everything there.

Which to me, is counterintuitive for a 'plain text' writing solution, and creates issues like this one:

https://github.com/writemonkey/wm3/issues/161

Store locally, operate on that file.  It doesn't matter where the file is, if you just store it as plain text.

Dormouse:
From the WM2 documentationSTANDARD AND CLEAN TEXT FORMAT
For maximum portability your work is stored in standard text files. Writemonkey is fully UTF-8 compatible and will recognize virtually all international characters. Supports other encoding standards ‒ Unicode, ANSII …

--- End quote ---
-wraith808 (November 13, 2019, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
They can make the same claim in WM3. It's a plain text database.

Dormouse:
--- End quote ---

-Dormouse (November 13, 2019, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is not how it's working in WM2.  Check my post that I updated, i.e. from http://www.writemonkey.com/features.php

STANDARD AND CLEAN TEXT FORMAT

--- End quote ---

I really don't like this direction, personally.
I think we're finally getting on the same page- a lot had to do with the fact that I'm using WM2.  WM3 actually *does* store its files in a database located in (on Windows) c:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Writemonkey 3\writemonkey3_sheets.  It can sync with a local file, but it defaults to just storing everything there.

Which to me, is counterintuitive for a 'plain text' writing solution, and creates issues like this one:

https://github.com/writemonkey/wm3/issues/161

Store locally, operate on that file.  It doesn't matter where the file is, if you just store it as plain text.
-wraith808 (November 13, 2019, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

However you do it, there are potential problems unless you simply want standalone files and rely on file management tools. But many people want the advantages that can be got from a database solution: eg text search, linking, tagging.

The WM3 file binding feature means that you can have both at the same time.
And the database can be read as text.

The risk of a database is that there might be corruption. Most database programs attempt to deal with this through extensive backups.
The risk of separate files is that the link between the file and the program database gets lost (name change, location lost, files moved).

zettlr keeps the files just regular text files in whatever folder you like.  you just open the file or folder.  it has a database maybe for the program itself, but the files are all text files.  the only thing the program seems to do is look for the ID somewhere in the filename or actual file itself.  Is that what you are thinking too?-superboyac (November 13, 2019, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Zettlr saves its files the individual files separately as .md files in its folder. I haven't checked about setting up other folders. If you move them in the folder, it keeps track (and if you move files into the folder, it sees them too). But if you move them out of the folder, it loses them. I assume that its database watches its folder(s) and simply keeps links to the files. The tagging must be part of an internal database. Text search probably is too - I'm assuming it keeps an index because it could get slow otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version