ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (233/244) > >>

Dormouse:
Whilst rootling around for better web clipping, I came across Upnote. Firebase, potentially entirely local with no sign up, cheap sync if signed up (prices rising slowly), reddit users seem to like it a lot, developers based in Vietnam but Firebase server is in USA. Apparently optimised for c5000 notes, so huge imports from Evernote are probably inadvisable.

Docx is one of its import options and will export to markdown. Does colour and I'm not sure whether it's primarily based on rich text or markdown, but does work with a markdown syntax set.

20220725 17.40
I've noticed that both Upnote and Nimbus Notes have Enter=New Paragraph, which makes them more usable from my pov.
Upnote looks like quite a neat program, well designed but still adding features at a fair pace. Has a web clipper, but it is relatively primitive as yet. Files and folders can be custom sorted, which is important for writers and sorters. If I hadn't already found Tangent Notes, I'd be tempted to test out the import/export etc for using it as part of writing process. Not sure how good its wikilinking features work (have seen some criticism).
Nimbus Notes seems quite decent from a webclipping pov. Good editing and very much block based. Export options are a major weakness.

20220726 20.14
I'm going to test out Upnote in more detail. There's a nice simple blend of features. Clicking on a wikilink opens it in a popout window, which is my ideal behaviour. Looks good and usable on mobile (for whatever reason, I found that I never used Obsidian on mobile - preferring to use a standalone editor).

I don't know how seriously I could possibly use it. But I rarely actively use Obsidian now; Tangent is for thinking, more thoughtful note-taking and some writing; and I'd already worked out that an internet database was a better design for a bunch of stuff than separate notes - which is why I was happy using Workflowy. (I automatically assume periodic export as well as backups, even for stuff that doesn't matter). Bits and pieces I suspect, that I'd prefer not to do in an outliner.

20220727 00.27
One very neat feature is being able to pin a popout window on top and then just drag images into it. Very easy and quick.

Tuxman:
After having considered to just use text files for over a decade, I finally migrated my OneNote notes (not really more than project ideas and blog drafts, but they can be quite long these days) to plain text; Markdown, not org-mode, because Markdown just has better support, despite the inferior syntax.

I currently use a combination of Nextcloud (which I don't like much, but I use too many of its features already) for storage, Nextcloud Notes for managing my notes in a web browser, QOwnNotes for using these notes on Windows and, well, a selection of text editors for everything else. I gave Notable a spin before I settled with QOwnNotes, but Notable seems to expect me to store a note's "categories" right in the Markdown file which is annoying when editing them outside Notable.

QOwnNotes seems to be able to do much more than I need, but it plays well with Nextcloud and it won't clash with other tools, which is nice.
It'll take weeks before I finally am happy with my configuration. Ah, so many new knobs... :)

superboyac:
After having considered to just use text files for over a decade, I finally migrated my OneNote notes (not really more than project ideas and blog drafts, but they can be quite long these days) to plain text; Markdown, not org-mode, because Markdown just has better support, despite the inferior syntax.

I currently use a combination of Nextcloud (which I don't like much, but I use too many of its features already) for storage, Nextcloud Notes for managing my notes in a web browser, QOwnNotes for using these notes on Windows and, well, a selection of text editors for everything else. I gave Notable a spin before I settled with QOwnNotes, but Notable seems to expect me to store a note's "categories" right in the Markdown file which is annoying when editing them outside Notable.

QOwnNotes seems to be able to do much more than I need, but it plays well with Nextcloud and it won't clash with other tools, which is nice.
It'll take weeks before I finally am happy with my configuration. Ah, so many new knobs... :)
-Tuxman (July 26, 2022, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
very nice, i commend you for taking action. 
A while back, i had nextcloud running (this is yet another discursion sorry).  But it was a PIA installation and kept breaking during updates.  ALso, it's integration with windows file system and windows in general was weak.  I tried lots of things out over several months, and I ended up splitting all the nextcloud functions into separate tools.  For file syncing now, I use straight sftp.  And now I sync anything markdown with sftp and it is great.  sftp setup was a bit of a pain to get working with windows and everything also.  But less of a pain overal.

Dormouse:
Outliner Software forum: where there's a long history of useful discussion on all Notetaking and PIM-related methods, workflows, software/apps. Still in search of the Holy Grail of PIMs though.-IainB (October 29, 2019, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strong Mac orientation now, but still has a degree of interest in the newer programs.

Taking Note blog: has very useful thoughts on Notetaking methods/philosophies in general and Notetaking software/apps. Strongly favours the Connected Text PIM, but I gather CT may no longer be being developed/maintained (its future seems uncertain/obscure). Seem to have been no posts since December 2018, though comments from readers have been added since then.[/li][/list]
-IainB (October 29, 2019, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Disappeared completely now.

Dormouse:
a kind of system lock-in can happen even when all the data is plaintext and local.
-Nod5 (October 31, 2019, 04:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think this must be very much the case for heavy users of Obsidian with multiple plugins.

Probably won't matter to the students whose need for a note-taking is short-term, but for anyone else, it could be quite restrictive. The high proportion of programmers in the user base suggests that syntax and layout would be enabled to be easily exported, and converting all notes to standard markdown is on the developers roadmap, but the workflows don't seem likely to convert easily for those who have to move into traditional corporate softwares.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version