ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (207/244) > >>

Dormouse:
Hadn't really finished my Obsidian comments:

Despite being very keen for the mobile apps, I find that I haven't used them at all. I use the vaults, but I haven't used Obsidian to do it when I'm on mobile.

I think most users who don't need WYSIWYG (like me) will reduce their friction level by avoiding it and sticking to legacy editor. The new editor is a requirement for some plugins to work on mobile, but has substantially increased noise and friction. There are bugs, and some iffy design decisions, some from CM6, some from Obsidian. I personally encountered a short-lived one when insider Obsidian was updated to Electron 17 (quickly pulled because it was buggy). And the noise from plugins not working, changed ways of working doesn't seem to have reduced yet. I substantially switched to LP (more future proofed), but not for important workflow areas. But the noise from it all on forum and Discord is overwhelming.

I'm still attached to my OPML & md system. The plaintext large md files, should be accessible by a large number of programs well into the future; and their structure, and links are embedded within. But I've stopped regarding the md version as the day-to-day canonical version. Sometimes they might be, but only when I have good reasons for using them rather than an outliner. The one area where the markdown file will have it is in areas requiring privacy and security that I won't put on line.

Which leaves me with a docx unknown. Most files sent to me are in docx or PDF formats. Most of my destinations are happiest with docx and PDF. I like using colour when editing. Using HTML in markdown has always been a bodge from design onwards. The whole review, comment and version change system in Word etc is infinitely better than anything I have seen anywhere in markdown. Which leaves me thinking that markdown is maybe fine for notes, but simply not functional enough for actual documents in progress. And Obsidian's insistence on .md rather than .txt gives it a very low place in the interoperable league. Makes me feel a bit heretical since I have disliked word processors for a very long time.

Dormouse:
I have disliked word processors for a very long time
-Dormouse (February 12, 2022, 06:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
But, hey, things change.
Docx converts back and forth to opml as well as markdown does.
Word outlining is much improved - 9 levels now. Behind org-mode but ahead of markdown.
I can't imagine doing more in Word than necessary, but word processors are a perfectly functional option in general.

urlwolf:
Interesting performance comparison:
https://www.noteapps.info/state_of_note_apps_performance_2021_with_charts#___Slower_app_considerations_
Note count: 2000

Dormouse:
I'd say reevaluate amplenote.
-urlwolf (February 08, 2022, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK. I signed up - since they have opened a Free tier in an attempt to move out of loss-making.
But, tbh, it just looks like a better Evernote, (and the better is an assumption based on the extent of Evernote's decline). Four icons on the left - Calendar, Tasks, Jots (like Daily Notes) and Notes: for me that puts it solidly in productivity territory as does the email they sent me today publicising Shu Omi's video.
All of which makes me feel that it's not a good fit for me, and any comments I make are likely to be a result of bias and not investigating in depth rather than a reflection of a normal users' reality.

But, here we go:

* It's not rich text - doesn't do colour
* It's not markdown - doesn't understand HTML or headers 4, 5 and 6.
* The note pane isn't one I'd write in. (I know I don't usually write in Obsidian, but that feels like a choice).
* I'll be honest, it seems underpowered and not that intuitive.
* And web only.
They 'invented' rich footnotes
-urlwolf (February 08, 2022, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm very happy with the feature-urlwolf (February 09, 2022, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Aren't these just a link with a location?
Seems to me a bit like a sub-bullet in an outliner, but less intuitive to trigger and much more clunky/rigid in accepting files - instead of drag or paste it insists on file selection through an explorer pane. I suppose sub-bullets are a bit like footnotes.
Probably my reaction is just bias and dislike of the design. I find it hard to motivate myself to look deeper because of that.

I probably ought to maintain a closer watch on Logseq when I have the time.

urlwolf:
Also interesting on that site:
First-generation apps (2000-2010): OneNote (2003), Evernote (2008), Workflowy (2010)

Second-generation apps (2010-2018): Paper (2015), Bear (2016), Notion (2016), NoteJoy (2017)

Third-generation apps (2019-present): Amplenote (2019), Roam (2019), Obsidian (2019)

The first-generation apps tend to be weaker on mobile, but two of the three have immense overall feature sets at this point. In the case of Evernote, the breadth of its feature set was arguably a direct cause of its decline.

The second-generation apps are (mostly) the ones that people are excited about today. Notion has been the runaway success of the bunch thus far, given the breadth of possibilities afforded by their embedded, data-type-aware tables.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version