ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Book synopsis template

<< < (3/8) > >>

publicdomain:
Fred, two questions:

* Is what you want simply a GUI with a text field for inserting synopsis, then replacing "[SYNOPSIS GOES HERE]" in your HTML snippet?
* What's the source of the synopsis text? We may be able to query/fetch all of them them right into the HTML, in a sequential automated batch.
Regards.

fredemeister:
Do you want the pages to be able to be hosted anywhere?  Or just serve them from the app?  Or does it matter?
-wraith808 (October 18, 2019, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Wraith, I'm going to host these pages locally.

Many thanks for your interest.

fredemeister:
Fred, two questions: -publicdomain (October 18, 2019, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi PD

Answers to your questions:

1.  Is what you want simply a GUI with a text field for inserting synopsis, then replacing "[SYNOPSIS GOES HERE]" in your HTML snippet?
-publicdomain (October 18, 2019, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes please. Given there will be between 3 and 20 listings under any given author.

2.  What's the source of the synopsis text? We may be able to query/fetch all of them them right into the HTML, in a sequential automated batch.-publicdomain (October 18, 2019, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I modify synopses from three sources, Goodreads, FantasticFiction and another, random one. Usually try to limit each one to about 140-150 words.

fredemeister:
@tsaint

I can use Excel to create the fields for the mail merge, then use the code above in Word to get the blocks of code in many other word docs. Then save as text, import into Notepad++ and use macros to copy each block to a "master-page", then copy that into the html page. A bit messy, but better than entering each book detail separately.

Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

tsaint:
No worries. But because I'm curious...
Isn't it possible to have the complete html tags/code in the word doc, so when the merge is done, you have complete web pages?
 I saw a macro (maybe not necessary in late versions of word) to produce discrete merged documents.

I have no idea whether a merged doc can be rtf or txt or must be in doc/docx format. If only docx, each individual doc would have to be converted to txt then html or else straight to html. If the merged output could be txt, wouldn't just an extension rename to html do the trick if the original doc "template" contained all necessary html code and tags?

I have no immediate use for your process, but like so many other things I read, it's just interesting for its own sake

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version