ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Book synopsis template

<< < (2/8) > >>

fredemeister:
Seems like everything has to be stored in the cloud - I'm hosting this locally available on a VPN.
-fredemeister (October 13, 2019, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

One important thing to specify: Is your goal a system where your family members (who I assume are not all programmers!) themselves edit information about books through a locally hosted web app of some sort? Or is the goal that only you update the information and then your family reads it through locally hosted webpages?
-Nod5 (October 14, 2019, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply, the second is the way I'm going, although slowly. :)

fredemeister:
Possible lines of enquiry: a. Mail merge using office variants b. excel macros to generate html
-tsaint (October 15, 2019, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, hadn't thought of that option. Haven't used mail merge since I taught it almost 18 years ago. (Mind working feverishly...)

tsaint:
Last time I used mail merge(same as you - teaching, a lifetime ago), it produced one long doc. Maybe Office now has the ability to split the doc - ideal for discrete web pages.
Alternative would be to output the mail merge to txt/rtf and use a doc splitting app (eg https://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/ text file splitter). Auto naming the individual files plus handling the images might be the biggest problems - probably both surmountable relatively easily

fredemeister:
I've only ever used it for form letters, so will need to experiment a bit with that.

Some css image sliders and galleries have a system that's exactly what I want, but they're hard coded, so the field-names and positions don't match.

So I need a wet Sunday afternoon after the Rugby World Cup has finished.

;)

wraith808:
Seems like everything has to be stored in the cloud - I'm hosting this locally available on a VPN.
-fredemeister (October 13, 2019, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

One important thing to specify: Is your goal a system where your family members (who I assume are not all programmers!) themselves edit information about books through a locally hosted web app of some sort? Or is the goal that only you update the information and then your family reads it through locally hosted webpages?
-Nod5 (October 14, 2019, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your reply, the second is the way I'm going, although slowly. :)

-fredemeister (October 17, 2019, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you want the pages to be able to be hosted anywhere?  Or just serve them from the app?  Or does it matter?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version