topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android annoyances  (Read 4246 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android annoyances
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Hello!

Do you know any solutions to the below Android annoyances please?

1) I very often accidentally switch on the Google Assistant, how do I completely disable or uninstall it? I don't find any value in using it and it has some very basic shortcuts that interfere too often.
2) How can I set the phone not to dim the screen when a specific app is running?
3) How do I set the phone to always mute a specific app? There is an app that has annoying ads that have sound and I want to stop this.

thanks!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android annoyances
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:30 AM »
2) How can I set the phone not to dim the screen when a specific app is running?

You could try the StayAlive App

Even without donating it has useful features.  It has a setting to only keep the screen alive when a certain app is running.  I am not sure if this feature is one of the donation enabled ones.  I use the program to reduce how often I hit the power button on my phone.  I may need to keep this model for a few years.   8)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:04 AM »
#1 is truly annoying.  ive had a hard time with a bluetooth headset that has a spare button that used to be programmable.  now it always triggers google assistant. 
if i were you, id start looking at the tasker app, as it can do a lot, but many things it cannot. 

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:05 AM »

Even without donating it has useful features.  It has a setting to only keep the screen alive when a certain app is running.  I am not sure if this feature is one of the donation enabled ones.  I use the program to reduce how often I hit the power button on my phone.  I may need to keep this model for a few years.   8)

MILES!!!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 02:16 AM »
1) I very often accidentally switch on the Google Assistant, how do I completely disable or uninstall it? I don't find any value in using it and it has some very basic shortcuts that interfere too often.

Given that there are numerous phones with possibly multiple ways of invoking Assistant perhaps it might not have occurred to you that you telling us how you accidentally keep invoking it might help us to have relevant suggestions on how not to do it.

Like not holding your finger on the fingerprint sensor too long ...

hmmmm ...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:16 AM »

MILES!!!

Rumors of my death have only been slightly exaggerated.   Lollygagging here in Miami feels comatose at times.   :D

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 04:16 PM »

Given that there are numerous phones with possibly multiple ways of invoking Assistant perhaps it might not have occurred to you that you telling us how you accidentally keep invoking it might help us to have relevant suggestions on how not to do it.

Like not holding your finger on the fingerprint sensor too long ...

hmmmm ...

I tried to notice it and it seems it is holding the home button a bit longer!