ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Idea: Global Word Counter (GWC)

(1/2) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Hello,

I am a writer who works on many projects in parallel (books, novels, white papers, etc.). As a writer it is important to have a way to keep one's motivation and progress front and center. I have found numerous word counters and writing analytics on the Internet, but they only work online. Some have to have the text copy/pasted to use. The other present limitation is my writing app has word counters, but only for the current project. When I write I have several projects open and "bounce" from one window to another as my writing juices direct. I know this is unconventional, but it is how I work best. So, I need an app which can be...

Here are the needs in order of priority...

Version 1 (essential features)

* Small and concise as possible, but with no text or labels smaller than 14 point font. I have vision challenges.
* Used offline on my Windows 10 laptop. It would be something like a keylogger, but would not record any keystrokes only the fact a key was pressed and increment a counter.
* Keystroke count incrementer.
* User-configurable keystrokes per word entry box.
* Word counter with reset.
* Word goal entry box with a "Words to Go" readout.
* Pause feature to prevent counting typing out an email, grocery lists, etc.   

Version 2 (if a developer wishes to enhance the GWC further in no particular order, but all features would be nice).

* A meter bar or "speedometer" to see progress visually.
* A user-configurable minute timer with visual and audible alert to remind the writer to take a break from looking at the screen.
* Optional "Always on Top" switch.

Gratefully,
Calvin

superboyac:
the only problem with your request is that you are essentially asking for a keylogger.

i bet theres an existing keylogger that will capture what you type.  but not with these particular features.

CodeTRUCKER:
Thanks for the reply, but since there is no way to be absolutely sure a keylogger would not be a potential threat to collecting data I decided to stay clear of anything which records keystrokes.

if key pressed
ctr=ctr+1
repeat

publicdomain:
Hello Calvin, I'm working on a "Multilingual Word Counter":

First part (CTRL-C word counter) comes for evaluation first.

If you consider such a copy functionality as viable, your Global Word Counter idea can be made a derivative from this code.

Also, I recently did a formatter with the initial monitor functionality: Clipboard Call Number Formatter v0.1.0

What do you say? Can it work via clipboard?

CodeTRUCKER:
Thank you for your interest in helping. Unfortunately, I am not understanding. This is not your fault. Sometimes I have a gimpy noodle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version