topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Change request - Captor File Naming  (Read 4831 times)

colink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Change request - Captor File Naming
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Screnshot Captor is saving me lots of time, particularly last years favorites sizes feature.

Request1 - add a suffix 001 to the first screenshot of the day. (see screenshot attached)
I have set up my file naming format as YYMMDD. The first screenshot of the day is eg

Next files and subsequent files are named eg
191018 002, 003 etc

As I often do screenshots in matching pairs sequential numbering is important, but when I sort by file name order ascending in Windows Explorer the first file of the day ends up at the bottom of the list.

It would be helpful if 1st file of the day could be named with suffix 001 eg 191018 001
This would also mean when I sort files in explorer as icons in 2 columns, the matching pairs would be together

Request2 - When files are removed from my Capror folder continue the same numbering format for the day - do not start again.

Looking at the attached screenshot, if I move Screenshot - 191008 033 to a different folder, the next file I save will have the same name, so I cannot move it to the same folder (I need to move to a temp folder then rename).

Same thing happens if I move filename Screenshot - 191008 004, next file has identical name and following screenshots continues with Screenshot - 191008 034, 035 etc

Similarly If I move all of todays files to a new folder and do the same number of screnshots (same day) I end up with two sets of files with exact same name.

I realze this is a bit more complicated to implement that request 1, but perhaps the following would work.

Instead of creating a new file name based on the "lowest missing or un-named file name" eg 191008 004 or 191008 034 could you save the last file name somewhere in the app then add 1 for the next new screenshot (for that day) - irrespective of whether or not the folder for saving still contains or does not contain previous screenshots for that day.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Change request - Captor File Naming
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I can see the usefulness of your requests.
Have you tried using the %numinc% field in the File Naming pattern?  It is designed specifically to have an ever increasing counter.

Give that a try (put it at the end of your filename pattern) and see what you think..

It will never reset to 1 and just increase each time, but I could consider adding an option that reset it to 1 each day..

Screenshot - 10_8_2019 , 11_52_57 AM.png

colink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Hi

Thanks for your response.

I believe I am already using the naming convention you suggest. - see screenshot.

Hopefully the screenshot gives a better explanation of what happens and what I would like to happen.

I started to day with screenshot 1 - it is saved as Screenshot - 191012
I would like it to be named Screenshot - 191012 001
Screenshots 2,3&4 were named as expected Screenshot - 191012 002, 003, 004
I moved screenshot 003 to a new folder (thus no 003 in the folder where Screen Captor saves files).
I took screenshot 5, it is named Screenshot - 191012 003 - I would like it to be named 005 (fifth screenshot today)

I hope that is a better explanation.

Colin K

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Try changing your options like this:
Screenshot - 10_12_2019 , 10_16_29 AM - 00001.png

colink

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 04:28 AM »
Great response - as usual.

That works with allmy issues dealt with, though I chose custom date so I would get yymmdd
Screenshot - %customdate%  - %numinc%

Custm Date = %y%m%d

absoblogginlutely

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Absoblogginlutely!
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:44 PM »
If you put the date and time together then you'd an auto incrementing filename with the added bonus of knowing when the file was taken.
My Filenmae is
      Screenshot - %customdate%
And the Custom Date Format is
    %Y%m%d-%H%M%S

This gives me a file named "Screenshot - 20191230-164310.png" - This also avoids comma's in file names that some web pages do not like when attempting to upload a screenshot too.