ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the future of OneNote?

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
OneNote 2016 is not being sunsetted, and is the recommended path if you want to keep your local notebooks, and is available for download if you have O365.  It's just a strongly worded suggestion at this point.

sphere:

I'm equally frustrated with the move to make Onenote a web app.
While not sure how effective it will be, I encourage everyone to let Microsoft know. Not sure the best way to do that.  The Uservoice???

superboyac:

I'm equally frustrated with the move to make Onenote a web app.
While not sure how effective it will be, I encourage everyone to let Microsoft know. Not sure the best way to do that.  The Uservoice???

-sphere (October 08, 2019, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I like MS and their products have changed my life for the better.  But when it comes to listening to user requests and successfully implementing them, they are almost silent on that end.  I never thought they would do this to Onenote, which was the one application they did that was done almost perfectly top to bottom, and people thought of it that way.
Just one example....MS Word and styles.  Styles are a hugely fundamental aspect of MS word, and very powerful.  In 30 years, it seems they have not even in a minor way changed any of those features, which are klunky at best, and some bugs which are terrifying from an end-user perspective, have not been fixed in DECADES!!  There was/is the Onetastic plugins available...ALL of those features could easily make its way to the core functionality of one note.  You'd need like less than 5 developers to do stuff like that.  Very basic, awesome productivity tools...the kind MS will NEVER EVER implement in any of their applications for some reason.

more ranting...
things like Dark Themes.  This takes MS 6+ years to roll out, in a very limited way.  Even on Android, after several years of gaining popularity, android is FINALLY rolling it out as a core feature.  I have always been frustrated with this large corporation stinginess on rolling out features.  And I get their reasoning around it, where they want to focus on the majority of end users, who are not like us super poweruser nitpicky OCD crazies....but to me all that means is hide it somewhere in some "Advanced Options" section and be done with it.  Doesn't meant dont EVER implement nice features. 

and then, this is why you cherish guys like the Rightnote dude, who seems to implement every cool feature that he possibly can.  Very rare.  I remember when people were trying to move from evernote to rightnote, this guy (smartly) very quickly created a very nice importing/syncing feature, that cant have been simple.  For MS or a big company to do that...i feel like they would NEVER do something like that to be honest.

sphere:
I don't think anybody is going to disagree with you. I have no idea how Microsoft makes its decisions. It seems like for a while each year they would come out with another office  suite with very little in the way of improvements. It was helpful when there is something that was flashy. I remember being resistant to the ribbon to begin with, but when similar menu options were adopted a program such as Adobe acrobat, I saw their merits. Microsoft was somewhat slow to get on the SAAS bandwagon. I considered that a blessing. It is seeming harder and harder to find companies and even open source communities who are working on desktop suite applications.

I realize that they might not listen, but I still think it is worth shouting

superboyac:
I don't think anybody is going to disagree with you. I have no idea how Microsoft makes its decisions. It seems like for a while each year they would come out with another office  suite with very little in the way of improvements. It was helpful when there is something that was flashy. I remember being resistant to the ribbon to begin with, but when similar menu options were adopted a program such as Adobe acrobat, I saw their merits. Microsoft was somewhat slow to get on the SAAS bandwagon. I considered that a blessing. It is seeming harder and harder to find companies and even open source communities who are working on desktop suite applications.

I realize that they might not listen, but I still think it is worth shouting
-sphere (October 08, 2019, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
it's business decisions.  its strategy and doesn't have much to do with bugs or complaints (other than security issues).  I've actually asked for the reasoning and the answers go like....
i asked why sharepoint installation is so crazy?  they said its because it is deliberatly not meant for end-users to install.  its supposed to be like a thing MS installs for you or certified MS people install it.  this is how they strategize.  if it were very easy to install for everyone, they would lose the enterprise feeling of it.  if you could download sharepoint and go next next next finish....it wouldnt feel very enterprisy.  lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version