ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the future of OneNote?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Dormouse:
irc 365 saves notebook on OneDrive
In 2016, using the same account, you can access the cloud file and then save it locally.

sphere:
I still use OneNote. I would have to check which version it is.
-Tuxman (June 03, 2021, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Knowing you use it is helpful.

I have to use it for work, and use it for marking up some forms that I use for personal work, and it appears to store the notebooks offline and sync them if you are connected. I don't know if it is manually transferrable- I've never done it that way, preferring to just download it from OneDrive.
-wraith808 (June 03, 2021, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks… when making things up, are you using pdf forms or other forms?

I have the Office365 version - the latest, really (comes with everything else).  I've tinkered with it a bit, but never could bring myself to use it.  I could never get past it's wanting to create a textbox every I placed the cursor in empty space.  That, plus a bunch of usability features are lacking (IMHO) and it uses that awful ribbon invention.  I avoid using Microsoft Office if I can help it.
-BGM (June 03, 2021, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Would love to hear what usability features you feel are missing and where you might be getting those features if you are using another software.

sphere:
I used to know the answers to some of the questions. I'd use both the 2016 version (all the old functions + Onetastic macros) and the latest version (for better cross-platform & mobile access). Couldn't answer the questions when I saw them, because, it seemed to me, that the best answer was to stop using OneNote, which is what I have clearly done.

I always had a love/hate relationship with it anyway.
-Dormouse (June 03, 2021, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used it back in 2009 or 2013 and it really was pretty amazing at the time.  At the time it was the , least known but still a very powerful app.   If I were to decide to use it, my use case would be similar.  I need to be able to choose what I put on the cloud, and frankly, I do not want to pay to the volumes of data I work with online if I do not need to.   

My guess is that they had a strategy. Then they changed it. Then they modified their stance, a bit. For now.
Next there will be another strategy.
I think their problem is that OneNote is a large and complex program that few Office customers use. And the free cross-platform giveaway has probably not gained huge traction, but those users will make only simple demands of it.
But those customers who do use the complexity are often very keen indeed.
afaics, it will either die, be killed, mutate into something different and simpler, or will become an add-on to Word.
(The last mightn't be okay if they did it properly - first time for everything - option for better file management for some files via a ON database, more tools, and a couple of different views.)
-Dormouse (June 03, 2021, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

MS is pushing pretty hard for people to use 365, and I think One Note is used to entice people into the platform. They also push the use of teams for collaboration.    Onenote also is an alternative for many Evernote enthusiast. It can be an “everything” bucket with OCR and pretty good search.   I think the decision to attempt to kill of the desktop version was to get people dependent on their cloud services and one they are there, they can sell other services.   I do not want it to die, I just want to be able to use the desktop app and store information locally.

irc 365 saves notebook on OneDrive
In 2016, using the same account, you can access the cloud file and then save it locally.
-Dormouse (June 04, 2021, 04:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you. 

wraith808:
Thanks… when making things up, are you using pdf forms or other forms?
-sphere (June 04, 2021, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's scanned paper forms for reports and such. Works really well for it- one of the things that many find annoying (the fact that the page is nothing but elements) works really well for random forms as you just have to click where the field is and start writing or typing.

sphere:
It's scanned paper forms for reports and such. Works really well for it- one of the things that many find annoying (the fact that the page is nothing but elements) works really well for random forms as you just have to click where the field is and start writing or typing.
-wraith808 (June 04, 2021, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see.  I could see that working. Are you actually  typing into the pdf forms fields?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version