ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What are people using these days, instead of Surfulater?

<< < (3/8) > >>

tomos:
InfoQube could be suitable. There's a portable version. Has recently gotten a hierarchical Tagging system:
http://infoqubeim.com/drupal5/?q=node/4328

Default view of entries is tree (they can include as much text as you want; can be formatted/highlighted) with doc pane for rtf / html content, images, pdf's etc.

superboyac:
surfulator?  infoqube?  I feel like i traveled back in time 10 years.  ;D

Man...what a journey....
When i originally was doing all the note software stuff here, smartphones still weren't prime time yet.  Now, the smartphone has made me change everything.
i definitely moved to rightnote around 2010 for most of my notetaking purposes, and web capturing even also.  I migrated most of my evernote stuff into rightnote.  I had previously moved away from Surfulator.  I did also use Cintanotes for a while.

Eventually, I transitioned everything over to onenote.  i've been primarily on onenote since 2016.  I am concerned now that the latest onenote is now totally different, you cant use it without an account, and they ruined it by obliterating all the nice interface elements.  I also think they removed probably any poweruser feature and now its an app that can like 3 things instead of 20.  So I'm sticking with onenote 2016 for the time being.

Infoqube is another animal.  I dont really use it anymore, but I would for any kind of light database or excel-ish type things that needed more organization and calculations.  Infoqube is a nice, unique program...but i fear it will soon lose its audience entirely.

i remember way back when i really wanted that Zoot program to work.  Hey!  i just checked, zoot is still around and it looks actually interesting!
https://www.zootsoftware.com/#/screenshots/

but onenote had the best overall experience.

someone here was talking about importing and exporting....
very important.  onenote is frustratingly bad at it.  you can import export single pages to pdf word, but as far as batch pages or doing a bunch all at once, it sucks.  and the whole backup restoring, anything around that is not great either.

rightnote probably is the best for importing and exporting.  the developer really tries to make users happy with that and has done incredible things that NO other notetaker developers would typically do.  like his evernote import...

superboyac:
oh yea  forgot the whole point here...
with smartphones, things just gotta be able to sync easily and be in both places at all times.  I cant really stomach any longer having a desktop application like rightnote without being able to pull up the same info on my phone.  and that goes for anything else.  which is why im on onenote for the most part.

I'm not thrilled with how the notetaking world has gone the past 10 years.  the smartphone influence is too strong, which is bad for people like me who are still windows desktop "powerusers".  we are still in the ridiculous infancy stage for smartphones.  like, instead of the phone features...what is the thing 99% of the people are concerned about with phones? cameras.  this is not good for people who care about apps, and productivity around that.  like, who really cares about the camera?  but if you are not a nerd who is trying to be super efficient and productive...then most likely you are getting an iphone because its a status symbol.  and then the only thing you are really going to use is the camera and chatting.  this is 90% of users.

so the smartphone has destroyed the windows desktop experience AND the phone experience.  in essence, all poweruser options on devices have been relegated to niche category.

I'll give more examples...
we need more buttons and input ability with phones if we are really going to go poweruser with it.  this is why i say we are still in infancy.  the phone is still the same goddam phone from 2008.  a big screen (oh lets get the bevels smaller...like 10 years of getting the bevels 2 mm smaller, big whoop), a volume rocker, power button, and 3 virtual buttons, or NO buttons on the screen.  swiping sucks because it is more work to swipt then to tap....already bad for powerusers...gestures suck.

whats the solution?  so easy.  first, put all sorts of controls along the sides of the p hone where the buttons are.  add like 3 more buttons that can be customized.  put in a scrollable clicky wheel like some of the audio players that can be used for scrolling or customized.

also dont need it to be so thin.  i dont care.  make it 1mm bigger.  all these phones have stupid camera bumps.  instead of a bump, make the camera flush with the back, and use the extra volume for larger batter, more buttons, a HEADPHONE JACK!!!  id rather have 1mm thicker phone with headphone jack...like its not that big a deal.

we've now had 10 years-ish with touchscreens, and touchscreens pale in comparison to mouse input.  10 years.  what do we need?  things like that Black Mirror episode where they had that handheld metal keyring thing that was basically a metal wheel they can scroll very easily with.  great idea.  well never get that...ive been asking for that for now TWO DECADES...even on windows desktop.  good luck finding a bluetooth controller with programmable buttons for windows or phones.

its all a clusterf--- of an industry trying to appease people taking pictures with a phone and chatting with friends.  thats the whole industry.  yesterday, the big features being bragged about with the new iphone....the GREEN COLOR??!!  who    gives   a     shit!!!    the slightly larger battery?  yay.

kfitting:
@SuperboyAC: had to chuckle reading your post! A couple quick thoughts:

First, I completely agree: If I cant access on my phone and desktop, a notes app is no use to me. That's why I use Dokuwiki, even thought it's a little tedious on the phone...

... which is the second thought: I completely agree about the phone rant. I feel like the smartphone is ruining creators. Not in the camera sense (as you mentioned), but the writers, the graphic designers, the etc... input is so tedious with a phone. And dont tell me to use voice recognition for text: there are any number of reasons why I cant/wont speak what I want to write at the time.

Although, benefit of the doubt, I see the desktop world going away as well. Power users are/were/will be a niche market. While computers were a niche, the niche made things for the niche. But now it's all about market. Which is how everything goes. I'm sure a car nut will read this and think we've done the same thing to cars by making everything electronic/proprietary, etc.

Anyway, good thoughts.

nevf:
Thanks for commenting :Thmbsup:.

Surfulater does not have any Export capability, so it isn't possible to Import it into our new app Clibu.
-nevf (September 11, 2019, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, does Clibu have export functionality?
-Jibz (September 11, 2019, 04:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not yet, but planned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version