ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Gmail to SMS - (and any loud, annoying iPad notification method)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Steven Avery:
So far, the Gmail to Pushbullet idea looks like the best, using Zapier.

x16wda:
So the idea is to get a notification on an ipad when you receive a specific email in gmail on a different machine? Is there a reason why you can't just forward the email to the ipad's email acct as high priority, and turn on appropriate notifications? (like this) Just seems like a lot of plumbing. (Not an Apple user here, maybe the notifications just don't work that well.)

Steven Avery:
So the idea is to get a notification on an ipad when you receive a specific email in gmail on a different machine? Is there a reason why you can't just forward the email to the ipad's email acct as high priority, and turn on appropriate notifications? (like this) Just seems like a lot of plumbing. (Not an Apple user here, maybe the notifications just don't work that well.)
-x16wda (August 24, 2019, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Correct on what I want to accomplish.

Gmail "Notifications" tend to be cheezy.  Little pop-ups that fade away, make no noise or little beeps, and do not even keep an easy-check history.  This is true on both PC and iPad. 

Maybe I missed something but one time I did take a look. 

My SMS/MMS section from Talkatone is far more robust, it does give a general system msg, the history is right there of all the messages  sending person by person, can included pic (not needed though for this app).  They could be louder, I am writing them about the nature of sound.

Pushbullet I am checking now.

Examples of people who need robust reception, and I should ask these types:

1) A developer supporting a web-site
2) A store-manager watching for automatic orders

Note that these should be all night, unless e.g. there is specified quiet times.

wraith808:
-Steven Avery (August 24, 2019, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I use it for.  I can't access my work e-mail unless I'm on the VPN (stupid work rules), so I fire a rule whenever certain e-mails hit my inbox to forward it to my personal mail, that then notifies me by pushbullet.  It works well.

Steven Avery:
-Steven Avery (August 24, 2019, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I use it for.  I can't access my work e-mail unless I'm on the VPN (stupid work rules), so I fire a rule whenever certain e-mails hit my inbox to forward it to my personal mail, that then notifies me by pushbullet.  It works well.
-wraith808 (August 24, 2019, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you get Pushbullet to be noisy and irritating?

My example is Alarmy. In fact, I am even thinking about using a macro to cause a new Alarmy event. 

Skype calls seem to be loud, as they have good access to the Microsoft API, since they are Microsoft.

Simply a little notification ping is helpful, but not really sufficient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version