ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple php website for hosting files

<< < (2/2)

questorfla:
Two more good ones.  I knew 4WD would have at least one of these proggies in his toolbox. 
I am still reading the FAQ and Help pages on HFS but it looks promising.  I dont really care about using the Apache software, but at least that box has the required static IP with a domain name mapped to it.  From what i see HFS does need to have those.

What we have been using was a document manager I came up with 8 years ago.  It  has served well (and still does) but the girls wanted to load it by drag and drop instead of the configured PHP loader for the MySql database.

Me and the other IT guy as well as some outside people tried several different D&D modules but nothing seemed to click.  So I started looking at the back-ups of all the completed projects and realized that seen from the backend,
all they wanted was a way to display a Windows directory structure with folders and files on a webpage where the Users would be able to read the files inside of their labelled folders.

It needs some kind of basic Login\PW as an attempt to keep out the general public but they didn't need to keep track of any of the Users other than that.  The Doc Mgr using that sed a full PHP/MySql engine was overkill by a huge amount.  Trying to take apart an automobile and use the parts to make a  bicycle just didn't seem like a practical idea.  :mad:

I had considered giving the users access through a vpn and using Windows built-in share controls for managing access levels.   But...I would rather keep outside users "Outside" if possible and we already had the apache web-server configured so...I hated to waste that.

Shades, I see that NextCloud would require me to load the box with Linux or create a VM to host a Linux OS ?.  Or have i not read the instructions thoroughly enough?  Next Cloud looks very much like a Linux version of what used to be BitTorrent.  ( I believe they are now Resilio)

Thanks to all for the great ideas.  One of these will surely work for what they are trying to do.

questorfla:
Sorry it took so long to reply 4WD but your HFS option is extremely interesting. I can see where it would be Very Useful for many things. 
I am not sure we can do it like that though since we have to share specific folders with different people.  There are normally at least 30 different folders shared to different user-groups at any point in time.

And to Shades:  the one we current are looking at is Sync (of Sync.com). It works fine but the interface is way too cluttered for my liking.  We just need a way to be sure only the specific people that should be able to see each folder Can see it.  And no others.  We used to want to control downloads but at this point, that isn't even an issue.

So a website that has the ability to control which Viewers can enter which folders on it would be great.  We already have that but it is very old and very complex to use for something this simple.  Sync allows us to control access to the Link to the SYnc folder which (if the viewing area were not full of ads for Sync) would be fine

Also to Deozaan:
i had found a similar setup and have been trying to get it to work on multiple subkevels with no luck.  i uploaded the code it in another of my forum posts to ATH .   Yours option does work better but i would need to tweak the way it 'looks'.  the css code included with the one i call DDC just has an easier to read format

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version