ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple php website for hosting files

(1/2) > >>

questorfla:
Looking for the simplest possible way to display a folder along with all of its subfolders including the pdf files in those folders on a webpage.  It needs to have enough controls to allow Wthe Webpage viewers to have read-only access and prevent write/edit except and should require a login and password from Users to access the site.

Essentially this is an electronic version of a filing cabinet with controlled access.
More simply i guess it is an EBook where the individual pages are each separate files

We already have such a program but it includes too many unnecessary features and cannot be loaded using Windows drag and drop due to the inclusion of a MySql database which requires each document to be separately loaded into it through the loader which then tracks all access , a feature we do not need. 

I have tried using Business OneDrive as well as Google drive for this and while it can be done that way, I was not happy with the provisions for controlled access.  And we would prefer keeping the posted documents locally rather that hosted from the cloud

The hosted side should be something where the folder and its files can be loaded using Windows drag and drop into the display area and the whole thing has to be compatible with a WAMP-type Apache Web Host.

Appreciate any guidance.  I am hoping someone might have seen something like this and can point me to the right product

Deozaan:
Directory Lister is a fairly simple PHP "file browser" that you may find useful. It doesn't have access controls, though. But I suspect you could enforce authentication with a simple .htaccess file.

questorfla:
Thanks Deozaan!  Advice like yours is exactly the kind I was hoping for.  I have used htaccess before with good results and you are probably correct in it being able to handle the "front gate".   This isn't a high security issue. 
I will definitely look at Directory Lister because that is exactly what I am trying to do.  If it can display the contents of a folder with its subfolder and files structures just as Windows does that is all we need.  Hopefully it protects against uploads or modification of contents but downloads are fine  Just trying to limit the people who can access and read the files inside. 

Shades:
Not really simple with regards to capabilities, but simple enough to install quickly on the server that hosts the files. Try Nextcloud. User management and (read-only) access to files can be pretty fine-grained. There is a community and enterprise version. i run the community version for quite some time now and it doesn't disappoint.

Caveat: I run it on a Linux server with a 12 year old Core Duo (Dual core) processor and only 2 GByte of RAM. Still, it runs just fine for about 15 people.

4wd:
Not suitable due to your requirement for integrating with WAMP/LAMP but when I've had to quickly do something like this, host files over the web from my computer, then I've always found the simplest to be HTTP File Server (HFS).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version